BX24 won't start - new fuel filters and fuel pump

/ BX24 won't start - new fuel filters and fuel pump #1  

96superjet

Tractor
Kubota BX24
My BX24 was running rough, so I decided to replace both fuel filters and the electric fuel pump. The tank side fuel filter was a total mess, but once removed fuel ran freely from the tank. With both fuel filters and the electric fuel pump replaced it was blowing fuel out of the filter which sits directly in front of the metal fuel rails. The tractor fired right up and ran well for about 5 minutes until I turned it off.

Now it won't start at all. Engine turns over but it never fires. I loosened all three fuel injector rail caps and no fuel is coming out of the metal fuel rails. I moved back and disconnected the flexible fuel line immediately before the fuel injection system and it spraying plenty of fuel. Any ideas of what's wrong with my fuel injection system? Thanks in advance for any help.

/ BX24 won't start - new fuel filters and fuel pump
Follow up for folks who may be experiencing a non starting BX as I was. I knew that you you have to bleed the fuel system to ensure there is no air in the line. I was loosening the three nuts that fasten the steel fuel lines to the top of the engine and it simply wasn't working.

I'll upload a photo later, but there is a 10mm nut on the side of the engine immediately after the final fuel filter. I assume it probably called the fuel injection system. Essentially, this is the nut that properly bleeds the fuel system.

Loosen the nut, start cranking the engine (for a bit) and then tighten the nut while you continue cranking the engine. Having a helper makes the job easier. Once properly bled, the engine fire right up and ran SIGNIFICANTLY better after installing a two new fuel filters and replacing the electric fuel pump.

BTW, I sourced a "Kubota Filter Kt" off of eBay for ~$50 which included the following (All WIX branded) 2 fuel filters (PN: 33032), 1 engine oil filter (PN: 51365), 1 transmission filter (PN:51361) and 1 air filter (don't know the PN). SO.... much more cost effective than buying Kubota branded filters.

/ BX24 won't start - new fuel filters and fuel pump #4  
Good find & thanks for finishing out your experience..
I can’t stress this enough,
BUY A SERVICE MANUAL FOR YOUR MACHINE.!!!
It would have led u to the bleed screw in a second..
THAT being said, I HAVE TO get one for my new F-150.!!
I went to change the oil.. what a cluster THAT turned out to be.!!! Lol.. never again.!!

/ BX24 won't start - new fuel filters and fuel pump #5  
It was my understanding you didn’t need to bleed the fuel system on a BX. I owned one for 10 years and I would just cycle the key a cycle the key a couple of times without starting. I could actually hear the air in the return line to the tank.

Good find & thanks for finishing out your experience..
I can’t stress this enough,
BUY A SERVICE MANUAL FOR YOUR MACHINE.!!!
It would have led u to the bleed screw in a second..
THAT being said, I HAVE TO get one for my new F-150.!!
I went to change the oil.. what a cluster THAT turned out to be.!!! Lol.. never again.!!
Haven't Googled it yet, but there has to be somewhere on the InterWebs to download a PDF version of a BX24D service manual. Anybody who knows what non malware website that contains it, please help a brother with a link. To be honest, it's probably somewhere on this forum (where's the search button ;)

/ BX24 won't start - new fuel filters and fuel pump #7  
It was my understanding you didn’t need to bleed the fuel system on a BX. I owned one for 10 years and I would just cycle the key a cycle the key a couple of times without starting. I could actually hear the air in the return line to the tank.
That`s how it works on my BX23s as well. Cycling the key, let the pump prime the fuel system, my tractor fires right up after a couple of cycles.

Additional follow up: Work Shop Manual (WSM) is a powerful tool. Did a quick Internets search and came up with this WSM for BX24. Hope this helps someone.

• Good Post
Reactions: CWB