California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #81  
I hope that it doesn't come down to sacrificing humans
we kind of are. We have assigned to ourselves the blame for events that have happened again and again over the course of the planet's history telling ourselves that this time it's our fault.
This time it's not the solar system or the sun or the natural dynamism of the ever-changing planet, but rather that we did it and somehow it's wrong and we have to fix it.
And the imagined fixes are us sacrificing enormous amounts of our resources time and energy and all for a theory about as certain as the one the Aztecs had.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #82  
We all are. All the water on the planet has been shat into, spat into, and died into. There is no escaping used water. Same with the air.

Same with everything else. Every single molecule of material in my body was, in times past, somewhere else, serving some other purpose, and doing it countless times before those molecules found their way into my body.

We are all made up of used stuff.
I was just suggesting that if the well was not located very distant from the septic field.......

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #83  
I was just suggesting that if the well was not located very distant from the septic field.......
Here in the mountains of NC in my county specific the code is a minimum of 100ft. Can't say on depth but it must be below frost line. Most water lines are 3ft so I would say at least that. I understand much comes to the surface and is used by any ground cover as well. I was just sort of being funny, but it is not untrue that I use it and put it back in the ground just not from 270ft down from which it came.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #84  
Anyone note the water issues between two states that has contracts going back over a hundred years. Can’t offhand recall the States but I think the Platte River is involved.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #85  
You don't own a damn thing anyhow; stop paying property taxes and see how quickly you're booted off 'your' property. So just bend over, relax, bite down on a small block of wood, and let Big Daddy Government track and tax your water usage. It's better for all of us in the long run, right? So just take it.
And buy that EV now! Your gonna have to eventually! LOL

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #86  
:ROFLMAO: I literally had the signup form in my hand to be a volunteer firefighter when the local captain said something about poison oak smoke, and I realized that I really wasn't a good fit. Like a really bad fit. I am incredibly allergic to poison oak.

@MossRoad Yes, the Forest service is rethinking their spending and grappling with harder to raise funds for prevention rather than disaster or fire fighting. But the hurdle is redoing the budget, and transitioning from preventing fires at all costs to reducing the intensity of fires. Personally, I would expect a mix of mechanical and human underbrush clearing, and controlled burns in the wet season for brush reduction.
e.g. Fire Management - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Don't hold your breath, but I think it is clear that the current practices aren't working well.

All the best,

Peter
***** administration, requested, and Congress approved funding to transition all of the permanent Federal Government seasonal fire fighters to year round, and more project funding to plan and implement fuel thinning projects.

We‘ll have to wait and see where it goes. The FS has been fighting and extinguishing all fires for a hundred years, an the theory they would timber sale and clear large fire breaks.

There wasn’t enough demand for the wood to sell that much, and then the enivroment rules hit, and ended the ability to actually sell wood. Which pushed most lumber mills to Canada. So, now even if the FS has a timber sale they get few, if any bidders.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #88  
Anyone note the water issues between two states that has contracts going back over a hundred years. Can’t offhand recall the States but I think the Platte River is involved.
E every water basin in the nation has overdraw issues, whether it is a surface water, or ground water basin.

The problem lies in convincing people how critical fresh water is, and the need to protect, and conserve it.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #89  
I can't guess why. But a RO system into which you reintroduce the mineral load that best suits your taste would fix the problem. The Reverse Osmosis would remove everything from the water leaving only water. Then you can make it taste great.
I haven't lived there for almost 25 years. I recall one of my neighbors telling me what was in the water that made it kind of nasty, but I don't recall what it was. I do know that he spent $$$ for some sort of filtration system that helped somewhat, but it still wasn't great water. He'd put in his system in the early 80s, maybe the technology's improved since then.
I can only imagine what people who live in some western states with sulphur-y water must go thru.

Doctrine of Reasonable Use​

The Reasonable Use doctrine, also known as the "American Rule," is a variation of the Absolute Dominion doctrine. A property owner may have access to all the groundwater underneath his/her property as long as it is used "reasonably" and doesn't greatly affect the rights of those who may share the same aquifer.
How deep do these rights go? Is it just "water table" water, such as you'd tap with a dug well or does it apply to deeper drilled wells too?

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #90  
Colorado and Nebraska. The two states have a century old compact that allows Nebraska to build a canal in Colorado (including eminent domain rights in Colorado to acquire land) to divert 500cfs (224,000gpm) of South Platte waters to Nebraska. The canal had some construction done many years ago. Nebraska has brought it up again by approving (IIRC) $53M to study and plan the canal construction, which is thought (!) will cost $500M.

It would appear to be in response to Colorado entertaining 28 water diversion and storage proposals to the tune of $9.9B...

For a legal view on what might actually be possible;

(I have not read the compact, and have zero understanding of Colorado and Nebraska water laws.)

Nebraska supposedly gets 9% of its water from the Platte river.

All the best,

Peter