Can a Forklift Fork be cut down to make a round bale spear?

/ Can a Forklift Fork be cut down to make a round bale spear? #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
I am looking at making a hay bale mover for a loader to move around 5x5 round bales and I have access to some 4"x42" forklift forks.
They are rated for 2500# each and I am wondering if I cut them down to a point at the tip (tapering out to 4" over the first 2 feet), would they be usable as bale spears, or would they just bend?
Anyone tried this?

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ Can a Forklift Fork be cut down to make a round bale spear? #2  
They shouldn’t bend even after you cut them down. I would be more worried that you would spear the bale deep enough that it would be hard to get off the fork. I have a neighbor that has about the same length pallet forks spaced out to the farthest setting on the forks on his front end loader and he loads hay with the pallet fork like picking up a pallet. He moves 5x5 and 5x6 bales and loads them on flat trailers and hay van trailers and they work really good.

/ Can a Forklift Fork be cut down to make a round bale spear?
I have tried moving bales with forks underneath them, but they always seem to stick when I'm trying to back out.
This is also going to go on a loader versus on a forklift mast, so I want to make sure that I have something sticking into the bale so it can't roll down the loader arms and onto the operator.

Aaron Z

/ Can a Forklift Fork be cut down to make a round bale spear? #4  
Could you describe (or show a picture) of how the forks attach to the FEL?

Honestly, a couple of 'replacement' purpose-built bale spikes, available at any rural supply store or, even, at my dealership's parts department would be cheaper than the effort it would take to whittle down both of your forks to 'sort-of' suit a purpose. Plus, no matter how much you whittle them down, they'd still be heavier than actual bale spikes.

I'm thinking that you could cut the forks off just after the bend (on the horizontal), then drill a hole that would accept the threaded end of the bale spike. A washer, lock-washer (split-washer?) and nut to attach.

Keep it simple. :)

Could you describe (or show a picture) of how the forks attach to the FEL?

Honestly, a couple of 'replacement' purpose-built bale spikes, available at any rural supply store or, even, at my dealership's parts department would be cheaper than the effort it would take to whittle down both of your forks to 'sort-of' suit a purpose. Plus, no matter how much you whittle them down, they'd still be heavier than actual bale spikes.

I'm thinking that you could cut the forks off just after the bend (on the horizontal), then drill a hole that would accept the threaded end of the bale spike. A washer, lock-washer (split-washer?) and nut to attach.

Keep it simple. :)
I would probably weld a piece of tube to the upright part of the fork and put a round bar through that.
Time will tell, I also have a forklift mast for the 3 point that I could use the cut down fork for.

Aaron Z

/ Can a Forklift Fork be cut down to make a round bale spear? #6  
the answer is YES. I split one down the middle with a torch then put both sides together and weld together. the butt end will be a hair over 2" wide so I ground it down so it was 2" square and it will fit a 2" receiver hitch . it helps to blow out the pin hole before you weld them together . I will try and find the pics of it.

/ Can a Forklift Fork be cut down to make a round bale spear? #7  
spear 1.jpg

spear 2.jpg

/ Can a Forklift Fork be cut down to make a round bale spear? #9  
I just slide my forks right under the bales, the bales rest nicely and securely between the forks,

standard.jpg

with some practice, you won't break strings, and you won't even have to stop,

standard.jpg

Having the grapple with the forks is REALLY nice, I can move the grapple out, to push a bale off the forks when I'm stacking up high, like in a barn...

SR

Pushing bales off was my issue, when I lowered the forks enough to set the bale down, they were pulling down the next bale. Probably need more practice.

Additionaly, I would rather have the "accident proofing" of the spear in the bale if it's on the loader vs under the bale.
I will have to grab a fork and play with it.

Aaron Z