Can i move a rock to the side using my backhoe?

/ Can i move a rock to the side using my backhoe? #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
Ok so if theres a rock on the ground, maybe its a decent size. Can I nudge it to the side with my backhoe? Using just the left and right motion of the backhoe?

I watched a video where a guy said you could bend the boom - seems shocking to me, but figured i'd check. This would be on a compact tractor.

/ Can i move a rock to the side using my backhoe? #2  
A backhoe can’t push very hard to the sides at all, even a full size one. Your best bet is to get in line with the rock in the direction you want to move it and push or pull it straight on.

/ Can i move a rock to the side using my backhoe?
A backhoe can’t push very hard to the sides at all, even a full size one. Your best bet is to get in line with the rock in the direction you want to move it and push or pull it straight on.
i was just reading a thread on its side to side pushing power ... and yes i completely experienced that. so is it safe to say if i can push it it's probably not enough to bend anything? aka dummy proof?

i hear you on hitting it head on, but in many cases like digging a trench or clearing a road in woods, i either cant maneuver to do that or its just something i have to deal with during the task at hand, moving the rock (if possibe) is much more convenient to do w/ the hoe when its right there.

/ Can i move a rock to the side using my backhoe? #4  
I think you'll realize that the backhoe will dead head and not move at all if this rock you want to push is just too much for it. Will it bend the boom and dipper? I don't think so. But I'm not a backhoe doctor. I've dead head my pivot plenty of times and nothing happened.

/ Can i move a rock to the side using my backhoe? #5  
It depends on how you like to keep your equipment. Will it break? Probalby not if you don't pound with the side sweep. It sure makes them sloppy though.

Look, the side sweep on a medium size backhoe generates a huge amount of force. You know how easy it is to slide and throw the whole backhoe around using the swing. Those swing swing cylinders are massive, the pivots are small, and the levers are long.

We all move dirt and small rocks using the backhoe's side sweep motion. We know that motion is hard on the pivot pins and bushings, but done against a moderate load it probably won't bend anything. At least not if we stop and then push....Don't ever side swing at that rock with the bucket moving. But even stopping and pushing puts a lot of wear on the backhoe boom and dipper and bucket pivots. They don't have much resistance in that direction...they were made to resist push and pull forces, not side forces.

So most of us old guys - I'm on my 5th hoe - will limit the side sweeping as much as possible. It's far better to re-position and use the hoe on a straight line push or pull.

Of course some guys just really do enjoy beating on on a machine to see what it is capable of doing. If that is your thing, then side sweep away. It's faster, and it probably won't break the hoe unless you get the side swing going fast and use it to pound on the rock.
But no other motion I can think of ages a backhoe boom, dipper, and bucket pins & bushings so quickly as using the swing to do heavy side sweeping with the bucket.

Even a newby operator can get on a hoe and tell in ten seconds if the operator has done a lot of heavy side sweeping. Everything works; but everything is loose and wobbles.

Last edited:
   / Can i move a rock to the side using my backhoe?
It depends on what kind of hoe you want to have.

We all move dirt and small rocks using the backhoe's side sweep motion. You know that motion is hard on thepivot pins and bushings, but done against a moderate load it probably won't bend anything. At least not if you stop and then push....Don't ever side swing at that rock with the bucket moving. But even stopping and pushing puts a lot of wear on the pivots.

Most of us old guys - I'm on my 5th hoe - will limit the side sweeping as much as possible. It's far better to reposition and use the hoe on a straight line push or pull.

Of course some guys just really do enjoy beating on on a machine to see what it is capable of doing. If that is your thing, then side sweep away. It probably won't break the hoe unless you get the side swing going fast and use it to pound on the rock.
But no other motion I can think of ages a backhoe so quickly as using the swing to do heavy side sweeping with the bucket.

Even a newby operator can get on a hoe and tell in ten seconds if the operator has done a lot of heavy side sweeping. Everything works; but everything shakes.
great info .. i will certainly use this motion sparingly and with tact if necessary .. thank you

/ Can i move a rock to the side using my backhoe? #7  
Hi' You can do serious damage make no mistake, never try to side sweep a rock with the boom and dipper extended to their limit even more than half way is enough to twist or bend your boom not to mention the massive strain on the swing cylinders and pins I have a cat 428 back hoe one of the strongest and heaviest machines built in the class I have seen the bottom boom swing plate crack and break, there is so much power in the swing rams they may stall the swing against a rock but the pressure on pins and pivot plate can and will eventually cause damage.

Repositioning digging positions by lifting the rear of the machine and swinging the machine sideways is not the same as sweeping with the bucket light sweeping is ok but rocks or moving piles of dirt by sweeping would earn the operator instant dismissal I do not tolerate abusing the machine no matter the age or condition of the machine.

/ Can i move a rock to the side using my backhoe? #8  
You “COULD” but should you? I think you’ve got plenty of warnings about damaging the backhoe to do something that’s not designed to do. Even my operator’s manual mention this. (and I’m sure pretty much ever backhoe has the same warnings)