Can you dye hydraulic or gear oil? If so with what?

OP
C

Creamer

Elite Member
Tractor
1710 Ford, Versatile 150
Thank you! I figured there was a solution I just had to ask!

Tony H

Platinum Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX
I paint the lower section of the dipstick with Flat Black paint. When it's wet with oil, it's obvious

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I too have problems seeing the oil on the stick, so what I do is take a clean white paper towel. Remove the stick and lightly place the tip flat on the towel. When you raise the stick the oil level will be indicated on the towel.
I usually just carefully lay the tip flat on a pant leg, or a glove. But I'm always wearing pants when I'm "tractoring" but not necessarily gloves.

Zetorboy

Tractor
Zetor
Guys
My NAPA dealer sells me colored TDH oil. Befoare, it was clear oil.
I think it is better than to dye oil.
Bye

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Twice walmart has broken my dipstick!

Some genius decided to make the pull section of the dip stick out of plastic. i do have plastic parts on my 1988 bmw that are still like new so, plastic has its place as long as it's not the cheapest chit you can find.

after a long wait wait, i broke the rules, i walked into the walmart work area and there was this tweaker with a power drill in his had ready to drill out the broken dip stick.

yes, he was a dip chit workin on a dip stick.

i pointed out to him that 1 bolt and an o ring holds the dipstick tube in place, shut the hood and left.

he assured my there was "some" oil in there.

OP
C

Creamer

Elite Member
Tractor
1710 Ford, Versatile 150
Twice walmart has broken my dipstick!

Some genius decided to make the pull section of the dip stick out of plastic. i do have plastic parts on my 1988 bmw that are still like new so, plastic has its place as long as it's not the cheapest chit you can find.

after a long wait wait, i broke the rules, i walked into the walmart work area and there was this tweaker with a power drill in his had ready to drill out the broken dip stick.

yes, he was a dip chit workin on a dip stick.

i pointed out to him that 1 bolt and an o ring holds the dipstick tube in place, shut the hood and left.

he assured my there was "some" oil in there.
Did I read that right? You take your BMW to WalMart for an oil change? I'm sorry but isn't that expecting a miracle?

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Did I read that right? You take your BMW to WalMart for an oil change? I'm sorry but isn't that expecting a miracle?
ha ha

good point!

funny, walmart has a list of vehicles they will not work on.

BMW is one on that list so, even if i wanted to take it to walmart, they wouldn't do it.

I can do the oil on my 1988 BMW 325 convert with out jacking it up!

The broken dip sticks were both chrysler sebring convertibles.