Box Scraper Can you ID this box blade?

/ Can you ID this box blade? #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
It's been painted over as you can see and I found no visible markings as to who made it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130515_103511.png
    ForumRunner_20130515_103511.png
    788.8 KB · Views: 260
   / Can you ID this box blade? #2  
It's been painted over as you can see and I found no visible markings as to who made it.

bracket for the third link looks very similar to my King Kutter. The bracing and brackets for the lift arms are different but maybe just because of models. Is the tube for the rippers made out of two welded angle irons? Thats the way mine is made.

/ Can you ID this box blade? #3  
It appears that it doesn't have a bolt on cutting edge but is painted to simulate one.

/ Can you ID this box blade? #4  
The A Frame is typical of a Howse (hico) brand. Ken Sweet

/ Can you ID this box blade?
If I remember correctly they were bolt on cutting edges. Yeah , the paint job sucks and all seven rippers are missing (I wouldn't count the one in the photo as any good). It's a 6 footer with 7 rippers, the outermost ones are very close to the ends. It is two pieces of angle welded together to form the sq tube. Back edge is hinged. At this point I don't know any more. Going to look st it this weekend and wondering what it might be worth. I wanted to determine the make so I could price replacement ripper, or will just about any make work, sort of universal.

ForumRunner_20130515_152824.png

Using Messicks website because it has a number of brands, I looked up the price on the ripper shanks and teeth for 72" Box Blades. Looks like most would run from $42 to $55 each, with the outlier being Bush Hog at $27 for the shank and $5 for the points or teeth.

Since this BB uses 7 rippers, that would be prohibitive to me to purchasing this BB unless it was in the neighborhood of $100 to $150.

I'd be interested to hear what others think and if they find the prices I found online as reasonable for the replacement rippers.

Last edited:
   / Can you ID this box blade? #7  
I know hinged box blades are usually about 200.00 higher than regular ones if that helps.

I went and looked at this today. The rear cutting edge is welded on to the hinged back, the front facing cutting edge is bolted in. Rear blade is bent but could be straightened out I believe.
Not worth the trouble so let it be.

Saw another blade, a Massey-Ferguson model MF18 I think it was. Quite a different setup for the rippers, the whole bar rotates down to put them in play. Looked like a very heavy blade but well used and asking $550 !!, I let it pass too. People are crazy with their prices around here. Guess I'll be waiting for the next auction in New Holland, PA. 50 miles away but beats the prices around here.