Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723

/ Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723 #11  
@Dmacleo any idea where the vent on these things is located. Seems like something that should be checked, though I have no idea how you'd check it to make sure it isn't blocked. Seems like a place that mud wasps would like to build a nest.

/ Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723 #12  
@Dmacleo any idea where the vent on these things is located. Seems like something that should be checked, though I have no idea how you'd check it to make sure it isn't blocked. Seems like a place that mud wasps would like to build a nest.
on my gc2400 built into the fill cap itself. mud wasps prob not an issue as much as actual mud is LOL
not positive on gc17525m, I'll actually know for sure in few days as about to service one.

Last edited:
   / Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723 #13  
on my gc2400 built into the fill cap itself. mud wasps prob not an issue as much as actual mud is LOL
not positive on gc17525m, I'll actually know for sure in few days as about to service one.
I've seen talk of vent tubes on TBN before, but I've never been able to find one. More than likely the only vent is the cap like on the 2400. You'd really need to overfill it to get hydro oil to come out of that vent.

I do know one thing though from my own research and that is that a GC is a GC is a GC. With very few exceptions what applies to one model applies to all of them. Same engine, same HST. The The newer models have a different FEL and the biggest major difference I see is that the new one comes with SQA where the older ones needed to have it added. I have the maintenance book and it covers every GC, many titles of sections and the text still reference the older model numbers.

/ Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723 #14  
know the 1725 has exhaust on left side (where the 1710 and my 2400 are on right side) cannot remember where 1723 ex is located. I'll know that in day or so when I bring neighbors back to life after winter storage.
got 3 of these gc series within 1000 feet LOL

/ Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723 #15  
I just had the same issue and was wondering how to resolve.
My 1723 will start to buzz when idling and it is coming from the hydraulics because moving the steering will make the buzz change. I could not see any fluid in the sight glass so I added more fluid and this cured it until a few jobs later when the same happened again.
I just added more today and suddenly it's peeing out the filler....bugger. Clean up and sure enough the filler is full.
So why does mine seem like it's low but is actually full ?

/ Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723 #16  
I just had the same issue and was wondering how to resolve.
My 1723 will start to buzz when idling and it is coming from the hydraulics because moving the steering will make the buzz change. I could not see any fluid in the sight glass so I added more fluid and this cured it until a few jobs later when the same happened again.
I just added more today and suddenly it's peeing out the filler....bugger. Clean up and sure enough the filler is full.
So why does mine seem like it's low but is actually full ?
You need to check the fluid level with all pistons retraced on level ground. 3PH lowered, FEL down and fully curled. There isn't much fluid in the cylinders but as stated, it does not take much to go from bottom of the glass to overfilled.

When full, if you fully raise and dump the FEL and lift the 3PH to the top your fluid will appear low or quite possibly there won't be any fluid seen at all. On top of this if your tractor is pointing down grade of any kind this would exacerbate the issue. If you fill the hydro oil under these conditions then you WILL overfill it.

/ Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723 #17  
You need to check the fluid level with all pistons retraced on level ground. 3PH lowered, FEL down and fully curled. There isn't much fluid in the cylinders but as stated, it does not take much to go from bottom of the glass to overfilled.

When full, if you fully raise and dump the FEL and lift the 3PH to the top your fluid will appear low or quite possibly there won't be any fluid seen at all. On top of this if your tractor is pointing down grade of any kind this would exacerbate the issue. If you fill the hydro oil under these conditions then you WILL overfill it.
have not done the GC1725M TLB yet, that and oil are tomorrow (all greasing, coolant checks,fuel filter,air filter,rad screen done) weather permitting.
BUT...I just thought of something that relates to this.
you MUST lower that 3pt hitch....but with backhoe on you can't so yeah when servicing must remove it. and that alone can make a full system look empty. even if FEL off still have to lower that.

/ Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723 #18  
....but with backhoe on you can't so yeah when servicing must remove it. and that alone can make a full system look empty. even if FEL off still have to lower that.
I don't have a backhoe on mine, but it makes sense. I usually store my FEL with all cylinders retracted to prevent rust on the rods, but it also has the effect of moving as much fluid into the sump as possible.

They sure did put that glass in a bad spot for those that have a BH, Like I said, I don't have one, can you even see the glass with it mounted?

/ Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723 #19  
"...can you even see the glass with it mounted?" Barely.

/ Can you overfill hydraulic fluid on a GC1723 #20  
Yeah you can see the glass but in no way can you check levels safely. You basically get to do a look down upon it on the 1725m.