canadian fuel color

/ canadian fuel color #1  

jonsstihl

Platinum Member
I just got my b7800 in september and so far have only filled my 5 gal diesel can at two places a local fuel distributor and a petro-canada station

the first from a local distributor was clear in colour and the one from petro-can was a bright almost fluorescent greenish yellow.

the first was from an old pump not even digital and the stuff from petrocan was more modern pump with a sticker saying ulsd

I was suprised to see it come out looking like prestone brand coolant

is this normal.

/ canadian fuel color #2  
Sounds like Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. That greenish-yellow is what most of the ULSD looks like around here.

/ canadian fuel color #3  
I just got my b7800 in september and so far have only filled my 5 gal diesel can at two places a local fuel distributor and a petro-canada station

the first from a local distributor was clear in colour and the one from petro-can was a bright almost fluorescent greenish yellow.

the first was from an old pump not even digital and the stuff from petrocan was more modern pump with a sticker saying ulsd

I was suprised to see it come out looking like prestone brand coolant

is this normal.

Petro Canada's disel has had that distinct colour since the days of LSD. Not sure why though.

/ canadian fuel color
so I'm guessing the local stuff that is clear is probably better, assuming it has a higher sulfur content with more lubricity.

thanks for the info atleast I know I didn't get the wrong stuff.

/ canadian fuel color #5  
In the States, green is the dye for road fuel tax. Red dyed diesel is " off road " and isn't taxed. Try getting caught with red fuel in your truck and see what happens!! Pretty expensive fines!

/ canadian fuel color #6  
In the States, green is the dye for road fuel tax. Red dyed diesel is " off road " and isn't taxed. Try getting caught with red fuel in your truck and see what happens!! Pretty expensive fines!

Our off road is also red, but on road stuff is not.