Car lift in garage

/ Car lift in garage #1  

Pettrix

Platinum Member
What are the best type of car lifts for a garage? A 2 post or 4 post?

With a 12-14 foot ceiling height and a 4 inch slab at 3,500 psi. Is that adequate for a lift?

/ Car lift in garage #2  

With a 12-14 foot ceiling height and a 4 inch slab at 3,500 psi. Is that adequate for a lift?

I have found an (offset) 2 post lift easiest to use.
IF....the slab is an HONEST 4" at the mounting points probably OK, but I would not install anything more than a 7,000 lb. lift.

/ Car lift in garage #3  
i have a 4 post from Greg Smith Equipment. you can bolt it to the floor but don't have to. mine came with wheels that attach so you can move if or re position it if you need to had it for years works great used for cars garage ceiling should should be at least 10 feet high you can get garage door openers that mount on the wall next to the door that allow more space overhead.

/ Car lift in garage #4  
I have the booklet from Rotary right here. No mention of concrete, but I seem to remember details on their website. Which model/lift capacity ? Salesman gave my concrete company the required re-pour. The concrete must also be steel reinforced. I just had a 7" slab section removed and repoured with tied in steel because the slab had cracked a while back right exactly where I want the lift. I'm after a 10,000 unit and 14' etc for my machinery shed. $1500 to cut & replace 6' by 14' with 8 bag mix and tied it steel rod. They want $4750 for my selection and $870 to install. To lift a rear heavy narrrow frame, they recommend an I-beams across the arms. Because of all the "Stay at Home and Unemployed" executive orders, my SPOA10 lift is in Limbo, llllll

/ Car lift in garage #5  

My son just put this in his shop. He knows his stuff and did a lot of research. Mostly for working on his old Bronco and GTO.
rtv.jpg

/ Car lift in garage #6  
I’m still kicking myself for not building my shop higher. 12’ high walls are not bad but 14 would be better. I would probably get a 2 post. I’ve looked at them and dreamed and it looks like $3k gets a nice lift.

/ Car lift in garage #7  
I had also looked into adding a lift in my 14' ceiling shop when I had it built. The requirement that I read was a minimum of an 8" concrete base with steel ties. I suspect that's pretty close. I've seen what a 6" slab will do when picking up a 10,000 vehicle - for what it's worth, it'll punch a hole right through that 6" block and drop your vehicle like a rock. That's an ugly sight!

My decision at the time was to not add the lift, although I've had many second thoughts since.

/ Car lift in garage #8  
With a 4" thick floor you should use a 4 post lift to better distribute the weight. IMO, 4" isn't enough. I have a Champion 9,000 2 post lift. They are built in Kentucky. My garage floor in 8" thick reinforced concrete that tapers to 6" on the outer edges. Garage door is 12x12.

/ Car lift in garage #9  
personally for at home I would prefer one of the good 4 post lifts. The type that can have two sliding jacks on them. My use these days would be mostly light repair and this type would work best for me as it can double as storage. It requires less in floor depth and most are moveable with wheel kits. The 2 post would be my choice if I was planning a lot of major repai but then again back when I had my first garage it had a single lift on in one bay and an alignment rack in the other that was used for much more than alignments. So knowing how handy it was having a choice I would suggest having one of each!