Car lift in garage

/ Car lift in garage #21  
Lift manufacturer's specs for concrete thickness and strength vary. I've seen 9-10k lb 2 post overhead lifts spec anywhere from 4" 3000psi to 6" and 3500psi.

If you have not poured the slab yet, have the part near the lift made thicker just to be sure.

There is also a spec for how close the lift bases can be to cracks and control joints and the edge of the slab. Plan accordingly with the concrete contractor.

Overhead two post lifts will need a minimum of 12' ceiling. Not all fit under 12'. I've done some modeling and I think I can get a full sized truck up high enough for a 6' person under a 12' ceiling if there's nothing in the way like lights or garage door opener. The door rails will have to be close to the ceiling and the sectional door can't go as far as the cab of the truck 'cause there will be only a few inches to spare. Going to 12.5 or higher would make that easier.

/ Car lift in garage #22  
I have a Forward 12K 4 post with two air jacks. My three Sons each have 9K 2 post.

For them they prefer the 2 post. They do a larger variety of work than I do. But they still sometimes come and use my 4 post.

For me I prefer the 4 post. So much easier to load/unload. Great work bench for parts and tools. If cramped for space I can park on it, raise max height, and park another vehicle under it.

But the best part is that it makes a great Buffet table for family gatherings.

20191128_123657.jpg

/ Car lift in garage #23  
It would be fairly easy to cut ou and replace a chunk of concrete where the lift would anchor down.

If you have not poured the slab yet, have the part near the lift made thicker just to be sure.

There is also a spec for how close the lift bases can be to cracks and control joints and the edge of the slab. Plan accordingly with the concrete contractor.

And add chain pots when you build your slab.

/ Car lift in garage
This is on a new build. I will have the flatwork guys pour a 6" slab on that car bay with 3,500 psi and #3 or #4 rebar. It will be a deep 4 car garage, so 1 bay will have the lift.

What is the average length of a vehicle?

/ Car lift in garage #26  
Depends on what vehicle... For what I have as reference my regular cab short bed Ranger is just over 14' long and my crew cab long bed F350 is I think 22' long or just shy of that...

I bought a 2 post lift and am contemplating just pouring the whole slab 6" so it's more sturdy for machines (mill and possibly lathe later) and such... I'm going 36x48 with two doors in the middle two bays. I know which bay I want to put the lift in but I haven't decided how deep yet...

/ Car lift in garage #27  
It cost very little to upgrade to 6k 7k psi concrete and keep it wet for 8 to 10 days after the pour, makes incredible tough floor, my 48' x 40 slab with one expansion hasn't cracked in 20+ years.

/ Car lift in garage #28  
I would be careful with a 2 post lift, 4 inches is the absolute minimum and rebar is required.
You must know the details of the floor where it is being secured.
I built a garage and installed a 4 post free standing lift and a 10,000 lb Mohawk 2 post lift on 6 inches of 4000 psi concrete with 4 layers of 1/2 rebar with 6 spacing in the area the lift was mounted.
Yes it was overkill on my part but peace of mind was important to me.
Both lifts have their advantages.
90cummins

/ Car lift in garage #29  
It cost very little to upgrade to 6k 7k psi concrete and keep it wet for 8 to 10 days after the pour, makes incredible tough floor, my 48' x 40 slab with one expansion hasn't cracked in 20+ years.

Be sure the water content is correct when it's delivered. I've seen stuff so soupy the contractor was trying to remove excess water. I don't know if it still has the compressive strength, but it sure is soft and anything can cut into it. It is impossible to clean because the broom keeps picking up concrete dust.

/ Car lift in garage #30  
Concrete is usually either 3500 psi or 4000 psi. I’ve never heard of 6k or 7k concrete, it would be really expensive.