Car lift in garage

/ Car lift in garage #41  
Attached is the lift I was looking at. Attached is my future garage build (48w x 28d). The overall car lift height is around 12' max. I was planning on placing the lift dead center underneath the glulam ridge beam. The ridge glulam beam is around 2' in height so that leaves me around 2' of clearance (16-2=14' 14-12=2') between the lift and the glulam beam.

With the roof slope and the other 2 glulam roof support beams, the height restriction drops to 12' but at that point it's still below the max of the lift so I don't see any issues with even a SUV or truck causing clearances issues with those lower beams. Only issue I can see is the garage door, when open, would interfere with a car on the lift. So I won't be able to open that bay door when there is a car in the air on the lift.

Any thoughts or input?

View attachment 698127

View attachment 698128

View attachment 698123
Get your door tracks following the under side of the roof. That way you would still be able to open door with vehicle on hoist. Sometimes called a high lift door track. Just a thought.

I have a 32ft deep garage and a 16ft landscape trailer that is about 22ft long. When the tongue is a couple of feet from the door, and a 3ft work bench along the opposite wall, there is not much space to walk behind the trailer. 28ft depth would be even tighter. Jon

/ Car lift in garage #42  
didn't see repete post about the door tracks like I suggested. Jon

/ Car lift in garage
What is a good distance to place a detached garage from a house? I got room to play with (10-25 feet). I was thinking 15 feet from each structure.

/ Car lift in garage #44  
Get your door tracks following the under side of the roof. That way you would still be able to open door with vehicle on hoist. Sometimes called a high lift door track. Just a thought.

I have a 32ft deep garage and a 16ft landscape trailer that is about 22ft long. When the tongue is a couple of feet from the door, and a 3ft work bench along the opposite wall, there is not much space to walk behind the trailer. 28ft depth would be even tighter. Jon
Or just install roll up doors. I put 3 - 12 x 12 foot roll ups in my shop with electric openers.

/ Car lift in garage #45  
Rollups seal poorly and the insulated ones don't have much insulation. If you plan to condition the space sectional doors will work better.

The door rails can be as close as 6" from the ceiling.

I recommend drawing the building in sketchup or similar, adding a lift and putting your vehicles on it to see how they will fit. The design for my shop (in the permitting process, sigh) will have the inside walls at about 12' 4" which I think will give me enough clearance for a full size truck on a 2 post lift.

/ Car lift in garage #46  
Mine seal well enough to heat and cool my shop. I actually thought they sealed really well until you told me they don't. I wouldn't put anything else up. They take up almost no overhead room and the best part is the operators.
12'4" may be enough. My Bishmon lift takes almost 13' but it has a top crossbar. I use a photo eye to protect the tops of vehicles.

/ Car lift in garage #47  
What is a good distance to place a detached garage from a house? I got room to play with (10-25 feet). I was thinking 15 feet from each structure.
Mine is 14' and it is good for walking from building to building but lousy for everything else.
25' would have been much more useful and safer.

/ Car lift in garage #49  
We've got 6' (detached garage is also at about a 60 degree angle to the rest of the house; closest point is another garage that's part of the house structure). Definitely not enough; our riding mower with a wide deck just barely fits through and I definitely can't drive my tractor between :(

Considering our place has the two garages, we really didn't need them to be this close (and it was built before we moved here); I'd say that it depends a lot on what your use of the detached will be - daily parker? shop?

If you think there may be increased fire danger because of what you're doing there, more room is better. If you're often going from the house to the detached, consider precipitation.. no wait you're in the high desert, ignore that

/ Car lift in garage #50  
What do you mean by more useful and safer?
By useful I meant more elbow room to move around, storage, outdoor activities, part time animal control area, etc.
By safer I meant fire or wind damage. Maybe some day mother nature pushes it over.