Car lift in garage

/ Car lift in garage #61  
Used to install two post and 4 post lifts and alignment racks as part of my job.

Read the manufacturers installation instructions for depth of concrete required. 4" of concrete was typical for a two post lift that had a 9,000 lb rating. The post bases had angle iron that typically spread the foot of the post base out over 3 feet. I have seen some of these lifts 30 years later still in operation on the 4" slabs.

4 post lifts sometime required a 6" depth for a 24" x 24" area in the slab where the post was to be installed. Post was installed in the center of the 24" x 24" area.

/ Car lift in garage #62  
I bought a 4 post Back Yard Buddy about 1999. I bought it because of it's safety background. It has paid for itself many times over and I'm glad I bought it. BUT, what I learned to not like about it is when I have brake, tire or suspension work to do. Why? Well I have to jack up what ever wheel I have to work on. It has a center piece that rolls back and forth, but even it isn't in the perfect spot to place a jack stand under the suspension like I like. And depends what car you have on it, it is sometime really low and you play hell trying to get a bottle jack under it. A small floor jack does work, but even that is a pain in the rear end. You can with some of the models get a center piece that has a jack built in, but when I bought mine, they hadn't thought of that yet. I have a big enough of a building that I have been thinking about a two post, but don't like the cost and the fact that I am 75 years old. I wish I would have bought one back in 1999 but I digress. If you are not planning on doing a bunch of under vehicle maintenance, like pulling your transmission or something along those lines, you might even consider a four foot scissor lift to do brake or suspension work or oil changes. I have been considering one of those. But those things aren't perfect, but then they all seem to have draw backs. But I still like the idea of having a two post. My dilemma I guess. If you have any questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

/ Car lift in garage #63  
I read that BendPak is a really good hoist/car lift company to buy lifts from.
I have a Bendpak 4 post lift, very happy with it. I did the install by myself 6+ years ago.

/ Car lift in garage #64  
This is an interesting thread it's been going for a couple of years and had quite a bit of information posted.
One thing I have not seen mentioned much is the age of the posters.
Myself at over 70 and have had a knee replacement I find using a two post an exercise in pain and discomfort.
Getting down to floor level to set the pads under the frame, then trying to get back up off the floor. The 4 post is much more convenient to use. Yes, I do have to mess around with jacks and stands at times but I can do so while standing up. Also with the trend for larger tires and wheels on pickups these days have the rail to set the tire on and line up the studs is much easier then lifting the tire in one shot and getting the studs lined up.
Just my thoughts.

/ Car lift in garage #65  
One thought that I haven't seen mentioned here yet is the fact that you need to be more careful that you don't bang your head on a rail with the 4 post system.

/ Car lift in garage #66  
I can park a full sized car under my 4 post lift, and keep a full sized car on the lift. Effectively giving me an extra garage bay without any increased taxes or build costs.

/ Car lift in garage #67  
You can do that with a 2 post as well. At least with mine I can.

/ Car lift in garage #68  
Your going in the wrong direction. Put the hoist in the floor. Solves a whole host of issues. Pour the floor leave a chunk open in the middle put the hoist in pour your 4,000 psi concrete. Don't care how many post lift you have you still have, well posts. And they are a pain. I have an above ground hoist like it, but the post are in the way. Friend built a new shop put the hoist in the ground like it. They recess in the the concrete has metal plates that go over the top. Slick.
Solve height others are talking about and your concrete issue.

/ Car lift in garage #69  
I have a Bendpak 4 post lift, very happy with it. I did the install by myself 6+ years ago.
Yep same here a BP 2 post installed myself about 10 years ago.

Did a 4 new off road tire mount, balance, and install on a Jeep Grand Cherokee today using the lift.

Agree with LouNY the knee's aren't what they once were... That part is worse than lifting the tires/wheels up to get the wheel on the lugs.

/ Car lift in garage #70  
I'd go with at least a 10,000 lift. Nowadays a crew cab diesel 4x4 with winch bumper and tool boxes is pretty heavy. Four post distributes weight better. If you are concerned with the 4" slab, put some plate under the lift feet to make them bigger. 4 post is a little more in the way, but for home shops I prefer them. I like the idea of something locking on four legs supporting what I'm getting under.