Carburetor still flooding on TO-35

/ Carburetor still flooding on TO-35 #1  

WilliamTO-35

Silver Member
Tractor
1955 Ferguson TO-35
I've posted this issue before, but the answer still escapes me. The Carter UT carburetor on my 1955 TO-35 floods unless the engine is running.
I've cleaned and inspected the carburetor and floats, adjusted them, and replaced the needle and seat at least 5 times over the last few years , but it still floods. I have to turn the fuel petcock at the carb. inlet on just before I start the engine, and off just after I stop the engine. I tried tapping on the Viton tipped needle to seat it ( as suggested on this forum) but the problem remains. I resurfaced the cast iron under the float seat gasket, but still no improvement. The float does have a " helper" spring to put more pressure on the needle . I never had this flooding problem until the carb. parts started coming from China , which was several years ago. It may or may not have coincided with the introduction of alcohol into the fuel. I've rebuilt and repaired many carburetors over the years, but this problem has me stumped. I'd like to try a different needle and seat than is supplied with the rebuild kits, but finding one that fits would be difficult. I suspect that the needle does not fit well with the seat , for some reason. My fuel is fresh, and my fuel filters have always been rated at 10 microns. The fuel is a gravity feed , and using fuel from a temporary can instead of the gas tank didn't help. Anybody have a suggestion ?
Thanks !

/ Carburetor still flooding on TO-35 #3  
I have an old Oliver Super 55 that will flood out as well if the fuel line is left open after shutting down. It has a glass bowl shutoff directly below the fuel tank that I can reach while sitting down.

My Avery has the same setup.

I think a lot it has to do that these are gravity fed fuel systems so there is always fuel pressure against the needle valve. If I leave the shutoff open for more than an hour on either tractor with it off I can usually see fuel leaking from around the carb.

I would just make a more easily accessible fuel shutoff than keep tinkering with the carb if it is running good.

/ Carburetor still flooding on TO-35
Thanks for your replies . Yes, the floats don't leak , and are not rubbing anywhere inside the float chamber. ( I once had a flooding problem on another engine, and it turned out that the float chamber air vent had been plugged by mud wasps, and the pressurized air would not let the float rise up enough to seat the needle.) At this point, I may rig up a remote fuel shutoff as super55 suggests that I can operate from the driver's seat.
I don't care for having to start the tractor while standing next to it , or step off of the tractor while it's running. Getting run over by my own tractor is, at the very least, poor form !

True, an electric fuel shutoff that close couples to the carb. inlet is certainly an option.

/ Carburetor still flooding on TO-35 #7  
Silly questions.

-When you set the float height, did you set it off of the gasket face or the carb face?

-And, when holding the carb upside down and the float,needle, and seat installed - can you blow air through the fuel inlet portion of the carb?

As I recall, the float level setting is done with the gasket in place. I've tried several different float settings , including an effort to keep the fuel level in the bowl lower than normal to put more pressure on the float needle as the floats become submerged due to leakage. Nothing works long term ( more than a day or two). On the bench , the needle seals well when blowing air through the fuel inlet. Before I start up the engine this month, I think I'll try to find another brand of inline fuel filter . I've had trouble finding reliable data on some filters that shows the micron filtering rating . I try for 10 microns.

/ Carburetor still flooding on TO-35 #9  
It sounds like your only other option is to shut the fuel off EVERY time you shut the engine off.

/ Carburetor still flooding on TO-35 #10  
As I recall, the float level setting is done with the gasket in place. I've tried several different float settings , including an effort to keep the fuel level in the bowl lower than normal to put more pressure on the float needle as the floats become submerged due to leakage. Nothing works long term ( more than a day or two). On the bench , the needle seals well when blowing air through the fuel inlet. Before I start up the engine this month, I think I'll try to find another brand of inline fuel filter . I've had trouble finding reliable data on some filters that shows the micron filtering rating . I try for 10 microns.

Ah, I got ya. All of our old tractors are the same exact way. I had always assumed that was how they were, and shut the fuel off at the tank when I am done with them.