Carport/Pavilion construction ideas?

/ Carport/Pavilion construction ideas? #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
I would like to build a 20 x 20 carport it woods next to my house. Was thinking I would like to have it look sorta like a state park pavillion so it blends in to my woods. I was thinking of using 8 x 8s or telephone poles on the corners and maybe in the middle on the sides. It needs to be tall enough to park my tractor in without folding the ROPS (it looks like 8ft will accomplish that but I don't want it any taller than necessary. Looking for tips, cautions, clever ideas etc. Truss types? Rafters? Shingles, Metal roof? I don't want to to build it and then say "wish I had thought of that first".
Thanks for suggestions

/ Carport/Pavilion construction ideas? #2  
Make sure and consider what substrate you may add later on the parking area, IE gravel, concrete. This will, or can significantly change your parked height. Build yourself plenty of room, 10' would not look much different than 9' IMO. Scissor trusses will give you a bit more room in the "center" which will come in handy if you hang lights. I'd also prefer metal roofing under those trees.

Of course only my opinions, much better qualified folks will chime in I'm sure.

/ Carport/Pavilion construction ideas?
Thanks Dennis
Those are the type of things I want to keep in mind.

/ Carport/Pavilion construction ideas? #4  
Natural rock/stone blends well after it weathers and bit and some moss gets to growing on it. Maybe you could incorporate some rock into the design.

/ Carport/Pavilion construction ideas? #5  
I would build it high enough to pull an RV under it, but that is just because I did not do mine like that and now I have an RV?
sherpa

/ Carport/Pavilion construction ideas? #6  
If you stick with standard-size trusses, they can be surprisingly cheap.