Case/ New Holland CVT trans

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #11  
Hi there! I bought an 8N boomer with the CVT. The more I drive it the more I like it but it does take some getting used to. I haven't done much with it yet. I just bought it for around the yard. Hopefully as more people get these CVT transmissions we learn more from each other. We have both Fendt and John Deere tractors with CVT transmissions and I don't miss the clutch pedal one bit! Ok, so John Deere call theirs something different but you know what I mean.

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #12  
I just purchased a 3040 with the CVT and was wondering if anyone else has experienced power loss. Where I live it is steep hills and roads that are not flat. When I start up a hill the tractor will lose power and almost stall. Then it will take off again. To go up steeper terrain I must have the CVT in position one and only use about half throttle. Is this normal?

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans
Try setting the throttle at about half, and use the foot pedal for speed only. Try not to use the pedal for speed and rpm at the same time til you get used to the cvt. Hope this helps. God Bless.

Todd

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #14  
Good I will try that, but won't that make the tractor move? Or is the foot throttle the only way to engage the CVT? I had to leave for work so will not be around the tractor for another week. That is why I am asking.

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans
Good I will try that, but won't that make the tractor move? Or is the foot throttle the only way to engage the CVT? I had to leave for work so will not be around the tractor for another week. That is why I am asking.

Tractor will not move until you push the pedal.

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #16  
Hi there! I bought an 8N boomer with the CVT. The more I drive it the more I like it but it does take some getting used to. I haven't done much with it yet. I just bought it for around the yard. Hopefully as more people get these CVT transmissions we learn more from each other. We have both Fendt and John Deere tractors with CVT transmissions and I don't miss the clutch pedal one bit! Ok, so John Deere call theirs something different but you know what I mean.

Thats one sweet ride you got. Congrats. :thumbsup: they are very nice machines, i just cant afford one. :eek: Also, glad to have you part of the forum, I look forward to your experiences with your Boomer 8n. :thumbsup:

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #17  
cqn you explain to me which setting i would use to change the way it delivers speed please. I have changed the one that changes the percentages. I am very unhappy with the way mine drives and the way when you push the pedal it has no power in second or third gear. any help would be great

thanks
tony

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #18  
cqn you explain to me which setting i would use to change the way it delivers speed please. I have changed the one that changes the percentages. I am very unhappy with the way mine drives and the way when you push the pedal it has no power in second or third gear. any help would be great

thanks
tony

If you don't adjust the cogs icon, you will get the power loss described earlier. I have a lewis loader on the front as well so it's heavier than standard. Stupidly, mine was delivered set to 100%, so whenever I towed anything, the computer would cut power because of torque issues. Once I played with teh settings (I was reluctant, as it was my first tractor, and you would think config stuff should rarely be touched), I realised how different the tractor behaves.

Gear 1 = about 25%
Gear 2 (default) = 60%
Gear 3 (roads) = 100%

You can only adjust Gear 2 through the computer. I have, Extreme Hills, we're talking 20-40 degree incline. Typicall, 45 is pretty solid, sometimes I run as low as 25 or 30 if I am pulling weight. I have a post drive which weights near the max weight of the rear linkage.

The magic happens if you constantly adjust the Cogs icon on the dash, I do it all the time, whenever I change incline, maybe 2-3 times a minute.

It's a shame New Holland can add a Jog Dial to do it without using the menu, as it would transform the tractor.

You can actually set the Cogs Icon to 0%, which means you can put your foot down to 2500 rpm and it will crawl forward at about 1/4 mph.

If you have hills, set the cogs (gear 2) setting to 45% or less and you will not have issues. I typically keep the cab rpm at 1500 pm when driving about anyway, as I find my tractor is a little lumpy at idle now after 800 hours. Time to adjust the valve clearance.

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #19  
I have a 3045 cvt tranny tractor dogs out when changeling direction and loader droops they say nothing wrong

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #20  
My self and another member Jackfrost both bought Boomer 3050's with CVT about, a year and a half back and both of us traded them in within a year due to huge technical problems and dangerous use conditions. We both opted for the standard sized T4.75 with 12 x12 transmissions. Look up either of our tag names for a lot of information. Bottom line for me is no more CVT transmissions on anything below 100 HP. I was serious enough trading the Boomer 3050 in to take a huge financial hit. I have also noticed that my local 2 NH dealers, one who carries over 50 units on his lot, no longer has any with CVT transmissions. Below is a picture of the day I traded in the Boomer 3050 with CVT for the T4.75 with 12x12 transmission.
Boomer3050 And T4.75.jpg
PS- I have a hard time believing someone would go to all the trouble to change the computer ratio/speed settings 2-3 times per minute manually while trying to get some serious work done on a slope. Another reason I did not like the CVT set up on the New Holland Boomer 3050 was the toggle switch adjustment for the cruise control. My home orchard has 850 foot long rows and while mowing having to toggle down and then toggle up turning at the end of each row multiple times per row became really time consuming. The toggling does not take you back to the speed you were going before automatically and you have to toggle 2-3 times per turn. That times over 200 turns per mowing becomes a huge hassle. Just to mow my small acreage once involved changing CVT speed ratios and the cruise control toggle switch too many hundreds of times. For open fields with very long straight runs the set up would be fine but in my case was a huge hassle. I own 27 tractors at the present time from a 17HP to 550HP and will not ever use a CVT transmission again. Working a active 2800 acre farm is not play. Your mileage may vary....;)

Last edited: