Cast iron wheels for M7040

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #1  

m7040

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
Noticed that the M7040 new owners got cast iron rear wheels with their tractors where mine was delivered with plate wheels. Asked the dealer today and he responded "that is an option that I did not purchase but he could look into this and tell me how much money it would cost to backfit".

Wondering if anyone would know if I am getting the run around here?

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #2  
m7040 said:
Wondering if anyone would know if I am getting the run around here?

Dude, you know MY answer to that. I'd say it's a very good possibility. I know in the brochure and website there's no mention of different wheel options. But there's also no mention that the M7040 has cast iron rears either. As I have told you, I have seen about 10 or 12 M7040s and they ALL had cast iron wheels on them. All the M5040s and M6040s I've looked at had the standard stamped steel plate rims.

I don't know if you're definately getting the run-around, if he ordered it that way purposefully, if he originally ordered it with irons and switched to cheaper, or if the Kubota manufacturer messed up. Regardless, it's worth looking into a little more. Did you ask Messick about it?

If I know you, you won't rest until you have cast iron rims on that thing though!:D

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #3  
Cast iron rims are an option and are worth the extra money. However, they do cost around $750 so dealers will sometimes order tractors in without them because it makes them more price competitive. Also, on tractors without loaders, they are not as necessary. For tractors with loaders, they are a worthy investment. Unless the customer specifically tells us otherwise, we outfit all of our tractors w/ cast rims and then also fluid the tires. You can also add rear wheel weights to your standard rims to make up some of the difference. They are not quite as nice looking and do run a slight risk of loosening up over time but are a good compromise to those who need extra weight. You can also add wheel weights to cast centers for more extreme applications. In the end, the cast rims are an option. Hope this helps.

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #4  
Brady-- My dealer is Haydon Equipment in Cynthiana. Joe didn't really tell me that cast irons were an option on the M7040, but he didn't deny it either. When I was comparing the M6040 and M7040 he said that one advantage of the 7040 was the cast wheels. Now he may have been talking about what he already had on the lot. As I said, all the M7040s he has had on his lot have had cast iron rims on them. The M7040 that they're delivering from Central Equipment in Lexington has cast iron wheels as well. Do you think that Kubota just manufactures more M7040s that way from the get-go since people wanting those tractors may be planning to do heavier loader work than those with an M5040 for example?

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040
Thank you for the responses. Was not sure how that worked. My tires are filled but can use more weight for loader work. Had a few instances of digging with the loader and filling the bucket with wet clay where backing up and lifting the bucket up resulted in lifting the rear wheels. Like to avoid that as much as possible. I will see if the dealer can backfit to CI centers and then for further help plan to attach the pallet forks to the tree point carrying a large box with ballast sand. Hope that will solve it

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #6  
Cast centers are not available on the M5040 and M6040. Also, Kubota is totally Just-In-Time so dealers dictate what tires they get. Kubota doesn't build a tractor (or ship one) until they have an order for it. I think that is what you were asking. Anyway, more dealers order the cast in our area. However, the further south and west you go, the more non-cast you see. This can be due to climate or just personal preference. So, is Haydon getting the tractor from Central? I actually live in Lexington and know both dealers well because we transfer back and forth alot. Our dealership is in Somerset.

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #7  
bradyky said:
Cast centers are not available on the M5040 and M6040. Also, Kubota is totally Just-In-Time so dealers dictate what tires they get. Kubota doesn't build a tractor (or ship one) until they have an order for it. I think that is what you were asking. Anyway, more dealers order the cast in our area. However, the further south and west you go, the more non-cast you see. This can be due to climate or just personal preference. So, is Haydon getting the tractor from Central? I actually live in Lexington and know both dealers well because we transfer back and forth alot. Our dealership is in Somerset.

Yes. Now THAT explains it all! Yes Haydon is getting the tractor from Central. And I am getting the tractor from Haydon!!:D :D

Actually they're supposed to be picking it up today. Hopefully so. Will still have a few options to add. My dealer called Somerset I think to try and find a tractor. I KNOW he was looking on the locator.

You live in Lexington and drive to Somerset!! That's one heckuva commute!!

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #8  
I don't go down to Somerset everyday...I did for a couple of years until traffic on I-75 got so crazy. I think both dealers are nice. We work well with them and trade inventory alot. We would have let Joe have an M7040 if we'd had one that wasn't sold. That model has been pretty hot everywhere. You had contacted us through our Package Builder online and I noticed when searching that Central had a couple of M7040HDs so I figured that is where it would eventually come from. It's a good choice. The M6800 was always an extremely popular size and the M7040 has kept that pace up.

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #9  
bradyky said:
You had contacted us through our Package Builder online and I noticed when searching that Central had a couple of M7040HDs so I figured that is where it would eventually come from. It's a good choice. The M6800 was always an extremely popular size and the M7040 has kept that pace up.

Ohhh! You found me out! That's basically my non-dealer way of using an "inventory locator".:D I actually think Joe had called down there first and the last M7040HD you had was being delivered that afternoon. You're right, there were two at Central and if everything works out according to plan soon there'll be one at Central and one in my barn!!:D

Sorry m7040. Us Kentucky boys have done gone and hijacked your thread!

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040
Chuck, got the info I was looking for so you can have the tread. Have fun with your new M7040 and cast iron wheels