casting aluminum plaques

/ casting aluminum plaques #11  
They make all those items in this class. Why do you say its gone?

I think he means in high school every school had trades not many do now , We had carpentry , sheet metal , small gas engines , automotive, machine shop,etc, not any more sad....

/ casting aluminum plaques #12  
I all my school years I never had one that had any trade classes but I sure wish I had some.

Only once did I even have any sports and at that we only played floor hockey and had to provide our own sticks. Since few owned proper shoes we were to play in stockings.
That HS had a real gym but it was so neglected that even the showers weren't functional.

I survived and evolved into a fairly successful DIY guy and owned a certified aviation facility which I sold and went into construction and played with tractors and anything mechanical.
Now in my 80's and still play tractor and always DIYing something or another.

LOL, but I did teach some aviation trades on contract basis for adult education.
All my classes were promptly hired upon graduation which was very gratifying.
\Also taught introduction courses for women that wished to enter non traditional trades, like automotive, welding woodworking etc.
That was a lot of fun!

/ casting aluminum plaques #13  
I guess it depends upon where you live . I had metal wood and small motors then auto shop . My kids only had wood shop and the wood shop teacher got fired because of budget cuts . They had a English teacher teaching class that had no idea of what he was doing . 4 out of 5 days they did paper work and watched movies . My son who worked in my shop since he was knee high to a grasshopper did most of the teaching and safety training .:confused2: Every day he came home I would ask him how did you do on your project he said didn't work again . Watched movies . He had wood shop for 2 years and did 3 projects.:eek::drink:

/ casting aluminum plaques #14  

High School was a step up with the automotive including auto body. We used to braze body patches on the cars before Mig came along.

/ casting aluminum plaques #15  

None of the schools near me have industrial arts at any grade level. Not sure what happened. They threw out Phy-ed as well.

/ casting aluminum plaques #16  
Jr high we had wood class, made tables and crap, metals, made tool boxes and other cool stuff, elctronics, made radios. plastics, made canteens, footballs dishes. That era is long gone.

Yes it is unfortunately. I am one of many who was let go due to being too expensive. I taught 1/2 math and 1/2 shop classes.
In addition to Algebra, Trig and Applied Calculus, I taught wood turning, wood working, forging, machining, welding (mig, tig, stick, oxy/fuel) and helped them with trucks and snowmobiles. They built fish houses and deer stands too.
After 3 years of repairing shop equipment and other shop items, and getting a non-program into a full fledged shop - I was let go to be replaced by a part-timer...who doesn't know anything about metal, machining or welding...

My new job I had to re-locate (left my home of 25 years) and don't get to teach shop anymore. But I did bring in welders and gear and taught a tig clinic 2 weeks ago on a special activity day :) Better than them going bowling - lol

/ casting aluminum plaques #17  
With our schools shut down, student are out anyway, I was in our school metal shop today helping the instructor who was casting aluminum plaques that are for a city park, to honor the various service branches. Don't ask me much because I know very little about this whole process. I'm just the helper... The last photo shows the plaques he was making today.

That's pretty awesome :)
Only aluminum pours I do is when I need a chunk to turn on the lathe. Last one was to make a line up tool for the timing gear cover on my WD Allis Chalmers.
When I put the cover back on, it needed to be centered with a line up block over the crank.
Didn't have a piece large enough, melted some scrap and poured into a pipe, pressed it out, chucked it in the 16 inch Southbend and let the chips fly :D

At some point I'll get into using sand molds I'd bet.

/ casting aluminum plaques #18  
Yes it is unfortunately. I am one of many who was let go due to being too expensive. I taught 1/2 math and 1/2 shop classes.
In addition to Algebra, Trig and Applied Calculus, I taught wood turning, wood working, forging, machining, welding (mig, tig, stick, oxy/fuel) and helped them with trucks and snowmobiles. They built fish houses and deer stands too.
After 3 years of repairing shop equipment and other shop items, and getting a non-program into a full fledged shop - I was let go to be replaced by a part-timer...who doesn't know anything about metal, machining or welding...

My new job I had to re-locate (left my home of 25 years) and don't get to teach shop anymore. But I did bring in welders and gear and taught a tig clinic 2 weeks ago on a special activity day :) Better than them going bowling - lol

Bummer about your job. For all concerned.

/ casting aluminum plaques

We all need to squawk about the stupidity of no shop classes.! Everyone is not going to become engineers or attorneys and many of the engineers I've work with should have taken these classes when in high school. Our youth need these classes for the basics!!! :confused::mad::confused3:

Dave, my spouse is range gal from Ely.

/ casting aluminum plaques #20  
One summer all us kids were told we were going to summer school instead of having a baby sitter. Between 5th and 6 grade for me. 1 class for learning, one class for fun. I took math and metal shop. First project, build an electric motor from scratch. After that, pick your own. I built a 6 foot sissy bar for my bike, sandcasted an aluminum fin for my belly board. Good times!