casting aluminum plaques

/ casting aluminum plaques
Just got home from the local HS we've been working in. The school officials finally caught up with us and kicked us out! Of course due to the epidemic thing. Its located just a cross the street from our hospital and there is a chanced the school will get converted into a overflow infirmary. No welding shop for me in the short term.. :mad:

/ casting aluminum plaques #22  
Just got home from the local HS we've been working in. The school officials finally caught up with us and kicked us out! Of course due to the epidemic thing. Its located just a cross the street from our hospital and there is a chanced the school will get converted into a overflow infirmary. No welding shop for me in the short term.. :mad:

Incredible HS shop. I assumed it was Michigan Tech. Are those DIY downrigger cannonballs near the finished plaques?

Several years ago, US politicians rediscovered apprenticeships and seemed interested in resurrecting them. Haven't heard much about it lately, though.

Incredible HS shop. I assumed it was Michigan Tech. Are those DIY downrigger cannonballs near the finished plaques?
Several years ago, US politicians rediscovered apprenticeships and seemed interested in resurrecting them. Haven't heard much about it lately, though.

HS means high school. Sorry to say the Mi tech is a not very good at Public relations so its very unlikely I'd ever get into a shop they operate.... Those iron balls are for denting art work the class sells to help finance their shop. Don't ask me much about that since I know darn little!!

/ casting aluminum plaques #24  
I buy a lot of the old equipment from the school systems at auction, based on what I've seen anything having to do with metal or wood working is pretty much gone in my area.

A little over a year ago I almost bought a casting bench with a forge and bunch of other equipment, ifni hadn't been laid up with a broken wrist I probably would have gotten it.

Either way my kids will get plenty of metalworking experience (and some woodworking too) I think too many people try to leave all of their kids education up to the school system.

I buy a lot of the old equipment from the school systems at auction, based on what I've seen anything having to do with metal or wood working is pretty much gone in my area.
A little over a year ago I almost bought a casting bench with a forge and bunch of other equipment, ifni hadn't been laid up with a broken wrist I probably would have gotten it.
Either way my kids will get plenty of metalworking experience (and some woodworking too) I think too many people try to leave all of their kids education up to the school system.

Most people don't have a home shop, or the skills to teach there kids this or that anyway. For all practical purposes, I don't have a home metal shop either but that's why we have school systems. We need to make sure our schools are teaching kids basic stuff like this.

/ casting aluminum plaques #26  

I am a welding Instructor and can weigh in on this...

This is a HUGE deal right now. I work with 16-24 year olds and we are doing a lot with apprenticeship programs. Carpentry, Marine Pipe-Fitting, and Welding where I work (US Dept of Labor) all work towards sending the students from our classes where it is introductory to the trade, and transfer them on to apprenticeships where they can get better in the trade they choose. It really is a training/employee/union relationship that really is working out well.

At my level we do two things: introduce them to the trade, but also teach them "soft skills" which is basically being employable. It is things like safety, showing up on time, doing a solid days work for a solid days pay, anger management, achieving employer expectations, etc. We can all debate on why they dod not have that stuff already, but they don't, so someone has to help them with this stuff.

For me it is great because I worked at a shipyard where a lot of these students will end up. I know what the employer is looking for (US Navy) and can help the students get there.

The interesting part is, these students, right out of the gate will be making several more dollars per hour than I do as their instructor. I think that is great, my days of crawling around ships and submarines are over, but unlike when I started out, these students have a real chance of doing well in life. For many, apprenticeship programs will really help them get there.

/ casting aluminum plaques #27  
Thanks for what you do, Broken Track. What type of organization are you doing that with?

Back when, the larger manufacturers often had their own accredited, in-house tool and die apprenticeships. I hadn't heard much about apprenticeships for a long time until some politicians started talking them up several years ago- probably envious of Germany's success with them. On an informal but important issue, all of the implement manufacturers must certainly be quietly doing a lot of fabrication training that will serve everyone well for decades. Hope they are recognized for that.

/ casting aluminum plaques #28  
Thanks for what you do, Broken Track. What type of organization are you doing that with?

Job Corps...

It is hard to state "the average student" because really it varies greatly from student to student, but it is a fact, there is a lot of broken families out there, and a lot of times the sound upbringing we had pre 1990's is not there for a lot of kids today. But you cannot just take them out of foster care, or take them from a homeless shelter, and put them to work. There are barriers that must be addressed.

And to the shipyard's credit, it is a two-step process. We just introduce them to welding really: stick, mig and tig, but then they will get AWS certified, then move on to the shipyard apprentice program for a few weeks, and get specific NAVSEA weld trained.

But Job Corp does a lot for them. They get their high school diploma if they do not have it, get a drivers license, must meet employable skills beyond just welding ability, get 3 meals a day, room and board, daily pay. medical needs, get a career advisor once they are 70% complete, and that advisor follows them for 18 months past graduation. So they really get a good head start.

I grew up in a foster home, and became a foster parent myself, which is kind of why they hired me I think. I understand where they came from.

But the students are great, they really are. It is just the same issue that every teacher has, not enough time for all the paper work. I realize why it is there: people want to know how the kids are doing, and track their progress, and who knows the students better than their teachers, so really we are the only ones qualified to say, but it is hard to cram everything in an 8 hour day that is all.

/ casting aluminum plaques #29  
Thanks for that Job Corp description B T. Sounds like a rewarding program for all.

/ casting aluminum plaques #30  
as a tech alum, they have some great shops and many of them are totally student run. Tech is a pretty unique place. if you want in, the best people to ask are the students that manage the enterprise program, They are student run businesses that do research for a lot of different corps like Boeing, Nasa, Caterpillar, Polaris, etc. I was on the board of one that worked on medical products.