Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder
As for the NAS (Network attached storage) I would hold off. I would either spend the money on a dedicated (used) laptop or use your current computer until you have an idea of how much storage you will be needing.

I need NAS for other reasons and plan to purchase 2-3 TB so I thought it could also be used in conjunction with the cameras, thus killing two birds with the same stone. Using a dedicated PC is not my preferred choice, but I already have numerous computers (laptops, desktops, and a server) available should I decide to use one of them for the security system.

These type of signs, while humorous and might deter someone, could also be a problem for the owner. If you ever did have to shoot someone in self-defense, the signs could be used as evidence as to your intent in a prosecution against you. I would not use any of these type of signs.

I would not actually use that kind of sign and only posted them in jest. For that matter, shooting an intruder would be my very last course of action, which is why I'm going to such great lengths to secure the perimeter, thus giving myself more time (advanced warning) so I'm hopefully not forced to make that fateful decision.

My security plans could be summed up in the following order...

1. Deter
2. Detect
3. Document
4. Defend

Last edited:
   / Caught an Intruder #152  
If they can read this one should do the job nicely

There's a story about a fellow who put up a sign saying "Danger! Mined!" at his boundary. The sheriff came out to investigate and the fellow said "Oh, that just means be careful, like mind your manners" and then crossed out the "e" with a pencil.

/ Caught an Intruder #154  
When we were getting our building permits, we had to agree to put up a fence and signs to keep construction workers out of a sensitive wetlands area. So I made up some signs that said "NO ENTRY: Violators will be shot. Survivors will be violated, then shot again!" I did it mainly to amuse the building inspector, who was being kind of picky.

/ Caught an Intruder #155  
Just wondering, Massey...
When you get the time, if it were me...I would put up a 3 or 4 strand barb wire fence. That would put a permanent border on your property. No trespassing signs could be placed at intervals. The fence would not cost as much as other fencing and it would deter the occasional trespasser. Anyone going past the fence would have to have a guilty motive in mind.

We are not sure about the trespasser's motive on the guy you noticed. Could even be a fellow looking for places to hunt...legally or illegally. I would not go too overboard about your incident. Maybe a game camera or two, and rake down any trails he might have used to look for new tracks. But...you have been violated and you need to keep your hackles up.

FYI...Interesting incident happened to us a month ago. I was at work...my wife heard our dog, (german shepherd), barking his "mean bark". She went out to see what the commotion was about. Our place is fenced in completely including the gate. Like a compound. A couple of adults were taunting the dog along the road. They cussed my wife and dog and said they did not plan to burglarize our place. Just that remark put us on edge. A normal person probably would not have said something like that and used profanity. These were 40ish year olds and rough looking. I do think they were casing the houses along our road. Now, we keep a camera, (and me my pistol always ready and in my pocket if I hear anything), and any one odd gets their picture taken. That way the perp also knows that we know that his picture has been taken. In SC you do not have to retreat if you are threatened with bodily harm.

So...I think a few signs that say you property is under camera survellance would be good too, whether you have cameras or not.

/ Caught an Intruder #156  
Redbug said:
So...I think a few signs that say you property is under camera survellance would be good too, whether you have cameras or not.

I was thinking this also. Something along the lines of " smile, you are on camera"

/ Caught an Intruder #157  
I was thinking this also. Something along the lines of " smile, you are on camera"

Unless you are thinking like a criminal, which is "Game cameras are easy to sell or pawn in the next town over. Now, where is that thing."

/ Caught an Intruder #158  
"Smile, you are on hidden camera!" Place signs out of reach at numerous points within your property.

Now, it's a game....you gotta go inside fence and spend lots of time checking around looking for it. Just because you don't find it, doesn't mean you haven't had your photo taken!!

So, lots of time spent looking, increasing the chances YOU will see the intruder and take action and if he's busy elsewhere, he's NOT messing with you and your possessions.

/ Caught an Intruder
Unless you are thinking like a criminal, which is "Game cameras are easy to sell or pawn in the next town over. Now, where is that thing."

I do plan to buy a game camera, not only to use for intruder detection but also to see what kind of 4 legged critters frequent our property. In any case, I definitely plan to heavily conceal any type of camera I may decide to use, just to eliminate the temptation for someone to steal or destroy them.

"Smile, you are on hidden camera!" Place signs out of reach at numerous points within your property.

I've considered the possibility of posting "video surveillance" signs, but I remain undecided about it. The nut jobs around here just might interpret it as an invitation or a challenge. They might wonder what I have that is so valuable that requires video cameras to protect, hence the "invitation". That said, I'm thinking that most of what I do should be kept as low key as possible.

/ Caught an Intruder #160  
Just cut a fireline around your place and drag it daily. You'll know whats coming on or off your property and it's cheap. This is a low tech method USBP use to look for traffic in the desert. The fact that you headed after your perp will discourage him from returning.