Caution, Repairs Ahead!

/ Caution, Repairs Ahead! #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I replaced the cutting edge on my 2360 snowblower yesterday and found some major rust! Thankfully I have a plasma cutter and both MIG and TIG welders at my disposal.

But I will probably wait until Summer to make sure I have time between use so I can take the auger and impeller out, and in addition to replacing the air and ferrous oxide with steel, straighten out the one bent impeller wing and add UHMW lining and tips to seal up and improve the efficiency of the blower. Not that it's "Bad", but Continuous Improvement is the name of the game here.

53573733409__00E3634B-776B-42AB-B659-3AC9CF75FBC0.JPG2017-12-24 08.48.15.png

/ Caution, Repairs Ahead! #4  
I don't think that will make it thru this season. Looks like 99% hole and 1% metal.

/ Caution, Repairs Ahead!
It’s only that one section. About 3/4 is decent, and the ends are all there. Pretty sure it will last another season or even three if I wanted.

/ Caution, Repairs Ahead! #6  
I would worry that a section at this spot would move into the auger and tear up the rest of the case. I suppose the scraper blade would hold on to most of the pieces, though. The solution of course is silver duct tape. This will prevent snow leakage onto the driveway and criticism from the Peanut Gallery about a sloppy job. Industrial JB weld would be fashionable, too.

/ Caution, Repairs Ahead! #7  
Bondo, man, Bondo!!

Yowza! Guess, in addition to the MANY problems associated with living on a dirt road, there's that benefit-- they don't put salt on it. Looks like you've been out on the main drag with your blower! Mine had some rust under the scraper, but just on the surface, nothing like yours!

C'mon, newbury-- doncha miss all the fun we have up here in the great northeast?? Don't you really want to move back up here?? (I see the weather guessers are talking about -20F later this week....)

/ Caution, Repairs Ahead! #8  
Do you blow driveways or roads with a lot of salt ?

/ Caution, Repairs Ahead! #9  
That blower MUST have been involved with something pretty corrosive. I had my blower for 27 years and only a couple bolts developed any rust.

/ Caution, Repairs Ahead!
I've only owned this rig since March, and I bought it from a used equipment dealer so I have no idea its previous life. But it was obviously not an easy one! The tractor is a 2006 and it appears that it was purchased with the blower, which was never removed, and always parked outdoors (supposition based on condition).

I do live on a paved/salted road, and put salt on my paved drive as well. But my last blower (1972 vintage, used by me since 1999) never got anywhere near as bad as this one, yes a little surface rust but nothing anything like perforation. And that one was nowhere near as heavy as this one.

I do keep my equipment in an insulated but unheated garage. It is generally around freezing with enough days above freezing that snow/ice doesn't usually last too long unless we have a real cold spell, as forecast for later this week. And I do my best to clean off remaining snow before parking.