CC 1864 Hydraulic Whine

/ CC 1864 Hydraulic Whine #1  

Dave01

Silver Member
My 1864 has a lot of hydraulic whine in the steering, can hear it even when mowing at full throttle. It steers fine, I just want to head off any trouble before it happens. My dad's 3204 has very little steering noise so it surprised me a bit to hear this.

Is the steering run off its own hydraulic pump? If so is there anything I should look for? I assume it shares the reservoir with the tranny but not sure about this either.

/ CC 1864 Hydraulic Whine #2  
My '95 1864 with only 136 hours on it is also pretty whiney.

-Larry

/ CC 1864 Hydraulic Whine
That's good to hear, Larry, I'll assume its just normal operation. I have around 850 hours on mine so its a bit more broken in than yours.

/ CC 1864 Hydraulic Whine #4  
For whatever reason, the old school sauer/sunstrand/danfoss drives are noisey by nature. They still last forever! My retired neighbor has a troy-bilt GT that he bought new in the late 1990's (a pre MTD troy-bilt). It's a tank. It's got either a kohler or a vangaurd twin, not sure. He paid like $7-8K for it with the snowthrower attachment. That sucker whines so loud you can hear it over the mower! Not sure what hydro is on it.

Joel

/ CC 1864 Hydraulic Whine #5  
The 1864 does indeed have the heavy-duty Sunstrand.

The 1864 also has another odd item. The shaft uses CV Joints. Only one I know of that does.

The 1864 was the holy-grail Cub of it's time in that class. I got mine from my sister. They paid $5200 for it in 1995.

There's nothing weak on this one :)

-Larry

BTW... If you ever change the Hydro fluid, have a big-*** drain pan :) Needs to hold at least 9 quarts! 12 would be better so you have some freeboard to work with.

-Larry

JTKub said:
For whatever reason, the old school sauer/sunstrand/danfoss drives are noisey by nature. They still last forever! My retired neighbor has a troy-bilt GT that he bought new in the late 1990's (a pre MTD troy-bilt). It's a tank. It's got either a kohler or a vangaurd twin, not sure. He paid like $7-8K for it with the snowthrower attachment. That sucker whines so loud you can hear it over the mower! Not sure what hydro is on it.

Joel

/ CC 1864 Hydraulic Whine #6  
The power steering and hydro trans run off the same pump. The whine sound is normal, never heard one of the big Sunstrands that didn't whine. My 682 like other tractors with these units you hear the tranny whine over every other sound the tractor makes.

-Fordlords-

/ CC 1864 Hydraulic Whine
Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess my steering should be fine. My CC 1211 also whines from the hydro drive (not sure if this one has a Sunstrand hydro or not) but has manual steering so I couldn't compare to it. Does the 3204 have a Sunstrand Hydro?

/ CC 1864 Hydraulic Whine #8  
Dave01 said:
..Does the 3204 have a Sunstrand Hydro?

I believe the 3K series up to 2004 used peerless drives and 2005+ are hydro-gear drives.

Joel