Celebrities I have met

/ Celebrities I have met #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
In about 1955, my best guitar playing buddy and I won an amateur contest, and our prize was an appearance on a local TV show, "The Prissy Thomas Show". We played our couple of songs, and much to our surprise, the next guest was Fess Parker. He was a tall, handsome dude, and as I recall, had on his Davey Crockett outfit. He was interviewed, and afterward, she asked him to sing "Davey Crockett". He said he didn't bring his guitar, so as fate would have it, he borrowed my buddy's guitar. We were eventually introduced, and got to shake his hand. I noticed that he had a huge scar on his jawline on the left side of his face. I though he had been injured on the movie set, but after some research, here's what I found:

/ Celebrities I have met #2  
I've met quite a few during my 3 tours in SEA got to see 5 or 6 USO shows and I was commissioned so was in the good seats :) I remember one where Raquel Welch grabbed my hand when she was walking off and took me back stage to meet others.

/ Celebrities I have met #3  
From that same era I met Clint Walker the star from the TV series "Cheyenne", and talked with him a bit when he was visiting his parents store in my hometown.

A little more memorable was chatting with Barbie Benton when I was about 16. She was drop dead gorgeous and very friendly and nice.

/ Celebrities I have met #4  
I've meet two actors
John Hillerman, Higgins on Magnum P.I.
Jeffery Jones of Ferris Bueller's day off.

/ Celebrities I have met #5  
The first part of my note disappeared, oh well. I've met a few people over the years, and many not listed (don't want another computer glitch here in my note)

Hockey:
Wayne Gretzky ... in a local shoe store
Ryan Walter ... in my Christian Bookstore, autograph session, and selling his line of greeting cards
Ryan Smith ... at Church
Darcy Rota ... in my uncle's van, after a game, to a restaurant
Paul Henderson ... Winning Goal, '72 Summit (Can - Russia) at a marriage enrichment seminar
Danton Heinen ... (Bruins, now Ducks) - my cousin

Musicians:
Bob Seger
Burton Cummings
Ron Tabak (late)... Prism - same church denomination as me, washed his car at a fundraiser once

Christian Musicians:
Twyla Paris
Rich Mullins (late) ... Awesome God song
Mark Heard (late)
Andy Landis ... great Country singer, I still have a photo of the two of us, that was in the local paper
Ashley Cleveland ... my favourite musician, WOW can she Rock
Geoff Moore with the Distance
Michael W Smith
Amy Grant
Kenny Marks ... autograph session in store. sent us a wedding gift 25 yrs ago (had invite, but was on tour)
DC Talk
NewsBoys
Peter Snambrook ... at 1995 Promise Keepers in Seattle

Baseball:
Larry Walker - in my hometown, pick-up baseball games with my cousins and friends, in our early teens

Car Racing:
Greg Moore (late) ... grew up in my hometown, younger than me, local hero

Last edited:
   / Celebrities I have met #6  
worked in a theater as the head rigger/ lighting/stage manager in college. lots of well known comedians Jeff Dunham, Gallagher, Wayne brady, John Oliver has a very funny bit about the upper peninsula and his show at the place I worked. lots of smaller bands like reel big fish, they might be giants, others. a few movie people at Sundance film fest like Allision Janning and Ed Helms the year cedar rapids was debuted there.
my most prized interactions were with Alan Parsons and his band Alan Parsons Live Project. we did a few concerts with them and they were artists in residence for a month or so. a great and fun group of people. also did the lighting design for a Mary Chapen carpenter concert, confederate railroad, and worked at dollywood for a summer, and got to see dolly up close. she was great, the people around her were jerks. she was doing a presentation in the theater i was in charge for lighting for.

/ Celebrities I have met #7  
Not me, but my son. He was stationed in Iraq as a crew chief on a Blackhawk helicopter. His unit ferried Trace Adkins around to the small bases where he gave concerts. It was aired as a TV special on the Country Network (I think). I have a copy of it and there is a scene where Trace Adkins is shaking hands with my son. We assume it is my son, he has his flight helmet on. But how many 5'2" crew chiefs are there? The difference in height is rather comical.

Doug in SW IA

/ Celebrities I have met #8  
I've met quite a few during my 3 tours in SEA got to see 5 or 6 USO shows and I was commissioned so was in the good seats :) I remember one where Raquel Welch grabbed my hand when she was walking off and took me back stage to meet others.
I was commissioned Navy, flying out of Danang, but for only a few months.
Raquel never showed while I was there.......Dammm!

/ Celebrities I have met
From that same era I met Clint Walker the star from the TV series "Cheyenne", and talked with him a bit when he was visiting his parents store in my hometown.

A little more memorable was chatting with Barbie Benton when I was about 16. She was drop dead gorgeous and very friendly and nice.

Nice? I'll say!
Barbi-Benton-6.jpeg