Celebrities I have met

/ Celebrities I have met #41  
I was commissioned Navy, flying out of Danang, but for only a few months.
Raquel never showed while I was there.......Dammm!
I believe it was in '67

/ Celebrities I have met #42  
Only sports pro I ever met was Curtis Strange. The golfer.

I was at a ProAm and saw him just standing at the club entrance - I assumed waiting for a car.

So, I walk up and say “hello Mr. Strange”.

He looks toward me and says “not now pal I’m busy”.

Never really appreciated him after that encounter.

Years later a charity I was volunteering for had a fundraiser where we sent white ties to “personalities” to sign, return and then we would sell.

Hale Irwin was one of the personalities we sent a tie to autograph.

He did this with the tie:
IMG_1522.JPG

Never met him but always respected him due to his generosity.

MoKelly

/ Celebrities I have met #43  
Living and working in NYC, met many stars, models etc. from Liam Neeson to Kevin Kline, Woody Allen (wow is he short) etc. and of course Abe Vigoda we saw all the time as he lived around the corner from us.

I worked in the building where they used to put together the SportsIllustrated mag (saw many of the swimsuit models and sports people in the elevators)

A few meetings stand out though.
Jay Leno - real nice guy, met him at a dinner, he is very shy of "fans" due to some bad incidents.
Roy Scheider - Had to ask if he would join us for drinks, he declined, but spent about 10 min with us shooting the breeze. He was wearing his signature rain coat.

Devo - hung out with them smoking cigars after a concert on Long Island. Mark M. is very unusual.

Met a lot of rockers at CBGBs and other clubs, along with a passed out Debbie Harry. Peter Gabriel was nice and went down the line when I saw him at "My Fathers Place" and stopped to speak with us for a bit.

A party at a friends apartment with Joan Jett. His neighbor was a producer who had also worked with Ted Nugent.

/ Celebrities I have met #44  
When I was 18 I went with a good friend of mine and his dad out to L.A. for spring break. We stayed at my friend's uncle's house. One night we were out driving around and saw searchlights in the sky, so uncle Kenny drove is over there to see what's going on. It was the premiere party for The Muppet Movie at The Coconut Grove in Hollywood. So we swing through the parking lot and see the famous Muppet car and a bunch of people and Muppets milling around. He drives around back and looks for the dumpsters. We park and get out and go into the Coconut Grove through the basement loading dock. I'm thinking, "Man, we shouldn't be here" and Uncle Kenny is like "we do this all the time."

So he finds an elevator and pushes the button. The car arrives, the elevator doors open, and Dick Van Dyke steps out of the elevator in a tux and full makeup. He looks left and right, then looks at us and says "Hi fellas. Looks like I'm on the wrong floor." Then he laughs and smiles, steps back into the elevator and off he goes. :ROFLMAO:

/ Celebrities I have met #45  
Living and working in NYC, met many stars, models etc. from Liam Neeson to Kevin Kline, Woody Allen (wow is he short) etc. and of course Abe Vigoda we saw all the time as he lived around the corner from us.

I worked in the building where they used to put together the SportsIllustrated mag (saw many of the swimsuit models and sports people in the elevators)

A few meetings stand out though.
Jay Leno - real nice guy, met him at a dinner, he is very shy of "fans" due to some bad incidents.
Roy Scheider - Had to ask if he would join us for drinks, he declined, but spent about 10 min with us shooting the breeze. He was wearing his signature rain coat.

Devo - hung out with them smoking cigars after a concert on Long Island. Mark M. is very unusual.

Met a lot of rockers at CBGBs and other clubs, along with a passed out Debbie Harry. Peter Gabriel was nice and went down the line when I saw him at "My Fathers Place" and stopped to speak with us for a bit.

A party at a friends apartment with Joan Jett. His neighbor was a producer who had also worked with Ted Nugent.
Man, that's cool! NYC is the place for that definitely. We saw a few other celebs just around town and also by the park, but didn't come up to them.

/ Celebrities I have met #46  
Several years ago I had mandated Police Officer training. At that time Erik Estrada was a Reserve Officer with Muncie, IN as part of a TV show. Erik attended the class and we spoke with him during breaks. I guess if I had his money I wouldn't have been stuck in the class.

/ Celebrities I have met #47  
Oh, now that you mention golf, I know Dustin Johnson pretty well. I've played golf with him a few times. He was a teammate at Coastal Carolina with a friend that graduated high school with my daughter. He used to come to our little course and play from time to time.

Another story: I lived in Grand Prairie, Tx for 6 years or so and was a member of Great Southwest Golf Club, since closed. They frequently had US Open and US Am qualifiers there. Lee Trevino's son was in a qualifier. When I came in the clubhouse after playing that day some of the guys said that Lee was out on the course so I went out to catch a glimpse. He was playing in a practice round with his son and a friend. I rode along following them for a few holes. They got on 14 and Lee said "If you gonna ride along you might as well play". So I played 4 holes with Lee Trevino. Funny, funny dude and can still play golf, or he could then. It's been a few years ago. He and I both birdied no. 17. 180 yard par 3. I made a long putt, he was inside the leather.

/ Celebrities I have met #48  
I worked at the local airport here in South Bend, IN for 6 years at the FBO back in the 80s. The University of Notre Dame is here. They used to have many big-name musical acts come to perform (this was before stadium shows took over), as well as a lot of other famous types, politicians, business people, sports personalities, TV people, etc. We'd service their aircraft as requested.

Many of them would stop and say hello to us on the way in or the way out. Some wouldn't. Some would smile and wave. Some were borderline incoherent. I'd say about 60/40 friendly and outgoing to maybe having something else on their minds ratio.

Many times they'd give us free tickets to the concerts. All we had to do was walk up to the will-call booth at the box office and give them a name. There's be tickets waiting for us. And I mean good seats, not nosebleed section. Usually in the 1st 10 row and a few seats off the isles.

It was a good perk.

You know what's interesting? Some regular guy pulls in with a little 2 seat Cessna 150, and tries to buy gas with a credit card. We have to call for authorization, and then call a 2nd number, then jump through some other hoops for a $40 purchase.

Kenny Rogers pulls up in a BAC 1-11, takes on 1500 gallons of fuel, his pilot hands you a Phillips credit card that says Kenny Rogers on it. You call for authorization on a $3000+ sale and the voice on the other end just says "Authorization approved #12345. Thank you." and hangs up. That was something back then. :oops:

/ Celebrities I have met #49  
My son was in college he used to hang out with Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)and Aron Baynes (Toronto Raptors, now on Australian Olympic Basketball Team) back when they played hoops at WSU, and I met them. Nice people.