Cell phone ALERT

/ Cell phone ALERT #11  
To disable the alerts in an iPhone, go to "settings", then to "notifications", then scroll all the way to the bottom. There you'll see 2 alerts, one is Amber Alert, the other is Emergency Alerts, you can turn them off or on with the buttons to the right.

/ Cell phone ALERT #12  
I too had to disable all the severe weather, amber alerts, etc. Only type I can't disable are the presidential ones.

Every so often phone (galaxy s8+) updates & "forgets" they were disabled & have to fix. If they didn't come thru in middle of night, I'd leave them, but don't want that stuff waking me up.

But wasn't overly difficult to figure out how to turn them off. Should be even easier on iPhone since interface is generally more intuitive.

/ Cell phone ALERT
Right - O. EXACTLY as 3T's indicated. Down at the bottom I have - Amber, Emergency & Public Safety Alerts.

/ Cell phone ALERT #14  
My cell provider is Verizon. My internet is via cell by AT&T. Both services show me far away from my actual location. Practically ALL the amber alerts I have received were from the Miami Dade area while I live outside of Tallahassee.

VERY annoying to get notices that are not even in your area.

Also annoying to try and shop online when it always wants to show you in a different location. Most sites I can log in and set my location except for Home Depot. Their web site doesn't seem to want to allow me to shop in MY area. Most other sites will set a cookie so I can return and have my store location shown for stock.

/ Cell phone ALERT #15  
All the alerts I have ever gotten have been for the other side of the state. Some 6 hrs away. Seems like they are doing a poor job of localizing it.

/ Cell phone ALERT #16  
I feel dupped and was just livid. After spending and hour with BELL ,Mostly on HOLD and trying to prove who I was, they assured me they had removed me from that STUPID program. Well guess what? Yesterday it went off, AGAIN. At least not in the middle of the night.

My Lady friend, also says she was startled on her commute, as her Radio station was interupted, and any she tried to tune to.

I can't even come up with anything that STINKS more of BIG BROTHER and a POLICE STATE!

I would be most interested to know, how many people would willingly submit to this. At the end of the day, MOST, people are more interested in their own skin than someone elses.

/ Cell phone ALERT #17  
I agree the Amber alerts are geographically useless. The Emergency Alerts that I have received have been appropriate and worth having.

I assume the "presidential alerts" are the modern equivalent of the Air Raid sirens we grew up with.

As for picking them up where you don't have cell coverage, the phones probably pick them up from any carrier, just like 911 calls (if you are not aware, all carriers are required to handle 911 calls, even when the caller is not a subscriber. If you are out of range from your carrier but within range of another carrier technically capable of handling your phone, they will connect you.)

/ Cell phone ALERT #18  
I agree the Amber alerts are geographically useless. The Emergency Alerts that I have received have been appropriate and worth having.

I assume the "presidential alerts" are the modern equivalent of the Air Raid sirens we grew up with.

As for picking them up where you don't have cell coverage, the phones probably pick them up from any carrier, just like 911 calls (if you are not aware, all carriers are required to handle 911 calls, even when the caller is not a subscriber. If you are out of range from your carrier but within range of another carrier technically capable of handling your phone, they will connect you.)

/ Cell phone ALERT #19  
Ya, i got the same alert on my phone. North of coeur d alene. The alert tone sure got my attention. Loud and obnoxious.

/ Cell phone ALERT
I was cruising along on a gravel road in the northern reaches of the Saint Joe National Forrest. Heading for St Maries and the road around the eastern edge of Coeur 'd Alene Lake. First time I've ever got an alert of any kind. Man - I though something was amiss with the Taco Wagon. Then I saw the flashing message on my new iPhone. It interrupted one of my "liked" songs - ENYA ( Orinoco Flow ).

Rather odd. I was heading away from my house - going east. The fellow they finally caught was going west from Coeur 'd Alene and was finally caught outside St John - just 30 miles south of where I live.

My cell phone is SELDOM on when I'm home. I turn it on every evening to see if a message is there - needing a reply. Maybe that why I've not previously got an Amber alert.

I think if I were awaken during the night - the phone would be housed out in one of my outbuildings. That alert "ringing" is enough to raise the dead.