Cell Phone Service Being Dropped

/ Cell Phone Service Being Dropped #1  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
If you have a Phone 5 or older or a Samsung Galaxy S4 or older, you won't be able to make or receive regular calls once 3G is phased out. Verizon and AT&T, and others, are discontinuing all service to 3G phones by Feb. '22. That includes 911 calls, etc., i.e. ALL 3G service.

/ Cell Phone Service Being Dropped #3  
Yep, had to upgrade my Net10 flip phone to 4G-LTE.
It is still only $15 a month (y)

/ Cell Phone Service Being Dropped #5  
I get it. 3G service will be discontinued. I did not know that. I had understood that the CDMA platform was being discontinued and if a phone wouldn't perform on GSM it would no longer work. GSM phones are the ones which require a SiM which the service provider provides - some free, some for a fee. When I switched to GSM my provider was no longer able to provide reliable service (Sprint / T-Mobile). I had to go to a Verizon provider to ensure a reliable cell phone. If you need to go that route check out Twigby or Boom. Both have Verizon service for a lower price than Verizon.

/ Cell Phone Service Being Dropped #6  
iPhone5 was 4G. What may be bigger is all the alarm systems and whatnot that still use 3G. If you have something that is not a phone that uses a cellular network, you'll probably want to see if it's 3G only. Cars, doorbells, garage door openers, medical devices, game cams, etc.

/ Cell Phone Service Being Dropped #7  
Good news. Apparently the Ring base station works with 4G. I just checked. That is all that I have that needs cellular backup. So I think I am good to go with the loss of 3G networks.

/ Cell Phone Service Being Dropped #8  
Apparently the Ring base station works with 4G.
Mine seems connected using juice cans and a string. I only get a "ring" long after someone was at the property, got back in their car, and left. I'm de-installing it.

/ Cell Phone Service Being Dropped #9  
Good thing I held off on getting a cell phone.

/ Cell Phone Service Being Dropped #10