Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt

/ Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt #1  

monkeybreath

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3410
I have graded a few areas to smooth out high places, and create more gentle slopes, etc so I can mow easier in the Spring, and so it will be as level as possible - the area is now a gently sloping -rolling landscape. What I am now contemplating is attaching a length of chain link fence to either the FEL or pallet forks or to the back of a box blade and dragging it over the area to take out the small ridges of loose dirt and small clods. I did this in a small area - before I had a tractor (weaving a piece of re-bar into each end of a 6 x 6 section of chain link fence to keep it somewhat flat) and it worked fairly well as I dragged it by hand back and forth - the fence sort of disbursed the loose dirt and clods and flattened the loose ridges - now I want to use this idea with the tractor and on a larger scale. Any suggestions as to how I might embark on this task ? Anyone done anything similar ? By attaching the correct length of fence to the front or back, I will be able to drag it and reposition by lifting it out of the way with FEL or box blade. I can't simply drag around in circular fashion given the area, and slopes and restrictions.

/ Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt #2  
Monkeybreath,
I made a similar drag that worked fantastically. I used a 6ft.
x 6ft. piece of chain link. Attached a 2x6 to one end and used
two clevices to attach it to the 3 ph. I used the u shaped
fence nails to attach a short piece of railroad tie to the other
end for weight. You can roll the tie up toward the 3ph. and
use two s hooks like you would hook two chains together
with, and then hook it to itself, and you can then raise it
and move it around. Works best with the railroad tie as
weight. Breaks even clay up into powder if you drag it
over ground enough. Attach the 2x6 to the two lift
arms of the 3ph. I used it for years dragging a ball field at
our local park. I pulled it with a Kubota B7100. Hope this
helps. Rick

/ Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt #3  
I have done this several times and it works fairly well. My "hi-tech" setup involves a section of chain link fence about 6x20 that is fastened to a log. The ends of the log have eye bolts in them which are tied to a bridle that I tie off on the hitch on my tractor. To really make this work well, I have someone else drive my tractor and I stand on the log, hanging on to another piece of rope that is tied off on the hitch, kinda like water skiing. This way I can shift my weight from side to side to fill where needed. My neighbor loves it when I do this because this is the only chance he ever gets to drive my tractor. This process fills in the low spots, knocks down the high spots and usually balls up the debris like roots and other vegetation. I really works best when the soil is dry. It's not perfect, but it's a cheap, quick way to prep an area for lawn.

Greg

/ Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt #4  
A set of bed springs single or double also works well.

/ Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt #5  
I haven't tried this, so you have to take my advice with "a grain of salt," but I have several welded wire rebar sections that look alot like cattle panels they sell at TSC. Most chainlink fence is pretty narrow, so if I wanted something 12' wide to pull, I think I'd use two of these panels (turned sideways and attached one behind the other so they will flex in the middle.) You could weight them with crossties or any other method used on chainlink fence. Remember this is just a suggestion, I've also used chainlink fence and it works well, but I was limited in width because my section was only 4' wide.

/ Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt
Thanks guys - you have given me some great ideas - and your suggestions I think will work better than what I would have come up with on my own. I will give it a try next week when I can get some more seat time.

/ Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt #7  
the professional landscapers use exactly this around here. They drag a good sized piece of chain link and always have four or so concrete blocks wired to the chain ink to weight it down.. I've seen the after affects , and they are really decent

/ Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt #8  
I just did my whole property (new house) about six weeks ago with an old bed spring. I have found this to work extremely well on more than one property. Your grounds will look like carpet when you're done. If you need to, add a couple of rocks (maybe soccer ball size) to the rear of the bedspring, if necessary. Just string some chain through the bedspring and hook it to the tractor. Ride, ride, ride. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt #9  
It's amazing that some of the best ideas are also very simple. I just wish I had thought about that chain link fence idea when I was prepping our lot for grass.

/ Chainlink fence drag to smooth dirt #10  
I use a chain link fence gate 4' x 6' with two long chains from the top of the FEL bucket to the far side of the gate, and two short chains to the near side of the gate. This setup lets me left and tilt. This work good to rake in grass seed before rolling.