Change in Stihl design?

/ Change in Stihl design? #1  

nebraskasparks

Gold Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L5740 HST and JD X734
It's been a few years since I checked out the new Stihl line. I have 3 Stihl saws... MS170 for limb trimming (hot knife through butter), my old reliable 026 Farm Boss (2002) with 20 inch blade (rebuilt it a couple years ago due to CONSTANT use) and newer 261 Pro. All have been exceptionally reliable. Went in for some oil and noticed that newer models do not have the anti vibration "split" design for the 261/50 cc models where the cover for the air filter detaches. Have they done something inside and just gone with one poly cover? :cool:

/ Change in Stihl design? #2  
It's been a few years since I checked out the new Stihl line. I have 3 Stihl saws... MS170 for limb trimming (hot knife through butter), my old reliable 026 Farm Boss (2002) with 20 inch blade (rebuilt it a couple years ago due to CONSTANT use) and newer 261 Pro. All have been exceptionally reliable. Went in for some oil and noticed that newer models do not have the anti vibration "split" design for the 261/50 cc models where the cover for the air filter detaches. Have they done something inside and just gone with one poly cover? :cool:

Are you sure you have the 261? The 260 has the pronounced "split" for the air cleaner. The first picture is of the new 261 and the second of the "split" 260. The anti vibration has to do with the handles.

Attachments

• image-95714543.jpg
    image-95714543.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 203
  • image-3436247796.jpg
    image-3436247796.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 198
   / Change in Stihl design?
Thanks Tom. I'm not an expert at chain saws but I dearly love the Stihl line after 14 years using them. Gave up an old McCullough and haven't looked back. Definitely have a 261 Pro that has the split. If the anti vibration is in the handles...what's the purpose of the split versus no split other than access to the air cleaner etc?

/ Change in Stihl design? #4  
Thanks Tom. I'm not an expert at chain saws but I dearly love the Stihl line after 14 years using them. Gave up an old McCullough and haven't looked back. Definitely have a 261 Pro that has the split. If the anti vibration is in the handles...what's the purpose of the split versus no split other than access to the air cleaner etc?

Could you post a picture of your 261 with the split at the filter? To my knowledge, that would be a special model. I have both the 026 with the filter split and a 261 which does not.

/ Change in Stihl design? #6  
The 261 didn't come out until 2010/2011, so that may be one way to determine what you have. I bought my 261 when that model first came out. Here's more info on the changeover from the 260 to the 261:

Dreams become reality: The new MS 261 | STIHL | Stihl, Viking, chain saws, brushcutters, hedge trimmers, clearing saws, high-pressure cleaners, lawn mowers, trimmers

If you have a split top cover, it's either an 026 pro or a 260. The 261 has only ever come with the one-piece cover.

The top cover design doesn't really have anything to do with the anti-vibe, and some current model Stihls still have the split design. My 461 (new for 2012/2013) still has a split top cover. From what I have seen, models with the one-piece top cover have superior filtration to the more classic split design.

/ Change in Stihl design? #7  
I can only offer that I have a three year old MS290 Farmboss. The vibration damping is internal and separate from the case/handle. Works great and takes on trees more than twice its size. Never fails to start. I use an 18" bar. Having cut about sixty trees so far I have no complaints.

/ Change in Stihl design?
Thanks s219. I'll send a picture later today. Makes sense that less garbage would get in with the one piece top cover and less things to get tangled in the body from a safety view point.

/ Change in Stihl design? #9  
It's easy to get "out of touch" with the Stihl model changes. Basing that on the fact that a Stihl lasts so long. I have an old 018, a 250 and a 361. I'm sure I'll use them until I do something stupid like run over them with the tractor. Can't see myself wearing them out. I have a chainsaw tote box that goes on my QH. Last Winter I was hauling my tractor on the GN trailer with my 361 in it's storage box, in the tote box. Hit a rough place in the paved road where a culvert had been replaced. Threw the saw out of the tote box. It landed in the middle of the road, going 50 mph. Busted the hinges on the plastic storage box and dumped the saw out into the soft grass shoulder. Didn't put a mark on it that I could find. :)

/ Change in Stihl design? #10  
I have an old 018, a 250 and a 361.

How do you like the 018? My main saws are a MS261 and a MS441, but I want something smaller that stays on a tractor to clear the misc fallen tree that I come across, etc. There is a local used MS180 without the ez2start for $150 that looks almost new on CL that I am hoping to take a look at tomorrow.