Changing from L2501 to 3520

/ Changing from L2501 to 3520 #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
I have been perfectly satisfied with my 3 year old Kubota L2501 but always wished I had gotten a backhoe with it. I just happened to mention to an acquaintance if he ever thought about selling his John Deere with backhoe? I knew it was a SCUT of some kind, he had owned if for close to 10 years, and if it was in decent condition and not too much money I could possibly buy it as a dedicated backhoe tractor keeping the L2501. He said he had actually been thinking of selling it so I went ahead and looked at it. The model is 3520 (he also has a 3720 which he is keeping). The 3520 mostly sat in the garage with the hoe on and was only used occasionally.
The good and bad. The tractor looked great and has a 4 in 1 bucket so it could run my grapple and tree puller, he was including pallet forks which I was just about to buy anyway, and it only had 151 hours. The bad being; it was in too good of condition and would likely be too expensive for me to justify as a second tractor. LOL when he gave me the price it was! Then I thought why not let it replace the Kubota which I could sell? Long story short I bought it and that's what I'm doing.

There are a few little things I need to work through such as JD quick attach is not compatible with my implements. I could change it over to SSQA but then it would not work with the bucket and pallet forks. I imagine there must be some adapter to allow both to work, I will check with the Deere dealer.. I discovered when checking air pressure that the tires are filled with Rimguard which I do not want so I get to deal with removing that. Oil was last changed in 2019 so to get a baseline I think I will change it along with the transmission fluid and coolant. Battery was recently replaced. Is there anything else I should do?

From the little time I have driven it around the property I really like this tractor. It is quieter and I can definitely feel the additional 12 hp over the L2501. It is also more deluxe with a nicer seat, full rubber floor mat, etc. than the basic L.

Just off the tilt bed yesterday with the included pallet forks, bucket, and lawn roller.

/ Changing from L2501 to 3520 #2  
do you have the ability to move the tractor forward or backwards from the backhoe seat?

/ Changing from L2501 to 3520
do you have the ability to move the tractor forward or backwards from the backhoe seat?
I have no idea and didn't really pay attention but I didn't notice controls in the rear that would do that? I've never used a backhoe before, could one reach back and raise the bucket then push or pull the tractor a bit with the hoe?

You're right Quebec and I had planned on doing that, but thank you. I have not looked closely but I did notice (obviously) a number of zerks on the loader and hoe but did not see any in the front steering linkage? Could these be hidden or non greasable?

/ Changing from L2501 to 3520 #5  
Sure you reach around and hit the pedal with a short pole or stick you fashion just for that purpose!
You can use the hoe to move forward if you need to. Just remember down riggers, front bucket, and parking break.

LOL "fashioned just for that purpose" I will make one. The only thing I knew about using a hoe is to lower the outriggers and bucket enough to lift some weight off, and now set the parking brake which looks easy to access.

/ Changing from L2501 to 3520 #7  
Sure you reach around and hit the pedal with a short pole or stick you fashion just for that purpose!
You can use the hoe to move forward if you need to. Just remember down riggers, front bucket, and parking break.

yea honestly that blows, the pedals on mine are very hard. im actually designing an actuator to run mine, was just wondering if all these machines have this stupid short coming.

It doesn't seem to take much pressure to move the pedals (F&R) on this machine.

/ Changing from L2501 to 3520 #9  
The Kubota M62 and L47 have a creeper gear you can activate when facing backwards. I dont think the smaller B26 has it, but I am not certain. Not sure there are any other tractors that have this.

/ Changing from L2501 to 3520 #10  
On my JD, a totally different model, there are no zerks on the front end joints. There are zerks on the drive shafts though. Nice looking machine.