Changing fuel filter on NH 3930

/ Changing fuel filter on NH 3930 #1  

AlbertC

Silver Member
Tractor
New holland 3930
I need to change the fuel filter on my 3930 but have never done it for fear that I may get air in the system and not be able to get it started back up. I have a few questions.

What procedure should I follow to hopefully Change the filter without any problems?
1. Turn off the fuel supply
2. Unscrew the old filter
3. Take the new filter and fill it as full as possible with diesel and screw it back on.
4. Turn the fuel supply back on.
5. Cross my fingers and hope it will start back up.

If it doesn’t start back up, what do I do. pics of my set up attached

F7B3034C-E260-4354-8E88-12A9526A6571.jpeg

/ Changing fuel filter on NH 3930 #2  
If it doesn't start, air has been picked up in the system. It has to be bled from the system by "opening" a line further downstream from the fuel filter.

I would assume New Holland has a procedure. Tractor Mike on Youtube had no fuel flow in his New Holland and he shows how he resolved...

/ Changing fuel filter on NH 3930 #3  
Definitely check the operator's manual for the procedure for your machine. My diesel mowers are self bleeding, meaning I just leave the key in the running position and the electric lift pump bleeds the system. My Kubota L4060 has a bleeder screw on top of the filter housing that is opened while allowing the electric lift pump to move the air out. Some (many?) Diesels have individual bleeder screws on the engine.
Hotly debated topic, but I do not prefill fuel filters for contamination concerns.

/ Changing fuel filter on NH 3930 #4  
Hotly debated topic, but I do not prefill fuel filters for contamination concerns
If you're the type of person that has to prefill the filter, fill the outside smaller holes as that's the direction of filter fuel flow. You fill the center hole and you're possibly dumping dirt into the system...........Mike

/ Changing fuel filter on NH 3930 #5  
Here is a video of a similar tractor that has a different type fuel filter housing that has a bleeder on top. Your housing must have a bleeder too or crack the line going to the pump.

/ Changing fuel filter on NH 3930 #6  
Your fuel tank should be above the engine. Least it is on the 3000 series that we had at where I worked. Find the fuel shut off valve on the bottom of the tank. Turn off the fuel then take old filter off and install new one. Open the valve. You should not need to bleed anything. Gravity is in your favor. Give it a few minutes for the fuel to work its way through and then try starting. If it doesn't start the filter in the tank at the fuel shut off may be plugged. You can try Tractor Mikes way to clear the obstruction but, I would plan on removing the valve and doing it properly. It's a PITA but it's better than getting stuck somewhere.

/ Changing fuel filter on NH 3930 #7  
I see that this is a older thread, but have the same filter configuration on my 3930 tractor, and mention what worked for me.
I bought the tractor used and have no manual so trying to find anything on fuel filter replacement procedure wasn't readily available.
From what I learned, the steps to shut off fuel, remove filter, replace filter, turn on fuel, wait a while (make sure tank is near full of fuel to fill filter by gravity) and it will self prime and tractor should start are all correct.

Well I did that and when I started the tractor it did start and ran for about 10 seconds then sputtered and died, I remember someone saying last resort crack the fuel line connections at the injectors and crank the tractor (about 5-10 seconds) till no more air bubbles and solid fuel comes out.
So thats what I did and after tightening the connections, think they are 5/8ths wrench, and tried starting the tractor, presto started right up and has since.
Just want to mention, I think this New Holland motor is a some kind of 'fuel emissions' type that has little different fuel and filter set up than most. I could be totally wrong, but there isn't any of the normal bleed places on this one.
Hope this may help someone with the same issues.

/ Changing fuel filter on NH 3930 #8  
My 1997 operator's manual shows a dual cylinder fuel filter assembly. The previous owner replaced that with a single filter (SF 10082).
Was there a reason that he might have done that and are there any pointers on replacing this filter?
Also, there appears to be some sort of drain nipple at the bottom of the filter. Do I use that to bleed a new one?

Thanks.

/ Changing fuel filter on NH 3930 #9  
If you have questions about your filter I suggest you post some photos of it. You will most certainly save yourself some grief if you know something about it before messing with it.

Just a note. Anyone who tells you to replace a fuel filter, don't bleed anything, then start the engine, is not someone who's opinions you should trust. Only a fool would do that.

Is your pump the same as the one pictured at the beginning of this thread? The one with the electric shut off solenoid?

/ Changing fuel filter on NH 3930 #10  
I need to change the fuel filter on my 3930 but have never done it for fear that I may get air in the system and not be able to get it started back up. I have a few questions.

What procedure should I follow to hopefully Change the filter without any problems?
1. Turn off the fuel supply
2. Unscrew the old filter
3. Take the new filter and fill it as full as possible with diesel and screw it back on.
4. Turn the fuel supply back on.
5. Cross my fingers and hope it will start back up.

If it doesn’t start back up, what do I do. pics of my set up attached

View attachment 753296
Just turn off tank line. Remove filter. Fill new filter. Install. Turn tank valve on. Start tractor. We have a 4630 set up that way. Injection pump and lines will still have fuel. So it will start up.