Changing Rotary Cutter Gearbox Oil

/ Changing Rotary Cutter Gearbox Oil #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I have a Rhino Turbo 120 10' rotary cutter. I would like to change the gearbox oil to put in NLGI #00 grease. Why? Just for the heck of it. But I can't seem to find how to drain the gearbox. There's nothing in the manual on doing this, at least that I can find. The manual says, "The gearbox has been filled with lubricant to the proper level. . .The gearbox should not require additional lubricant unless the box is cracked or a seal is leaking." It tells how to check the level and add more oil if needed but not how to empty or change the oil. The gearboxes have a dipstick plug and a "test" plug on top. I would think there'd be a plug on the low side or bottom to drain the oil if needed but I can't seem to find one. It may be kinda tough to turn that baby upside down!:eek: Can anyone help? (Not help turn it upside down).

/ Changing Rotary Cutter Gearbox Oil #2  
Most auto parts stores can sell you a suction gun. Put the tube through the fill hole, and suction the old oil out. I've used it on rear ends many times.

/ Changing Rotary Cutter Gearbox Oil #3  
ToadHill said:
Most auto parts stores can sell you a suction gun. Put the tube through the fill hole, and suction the old oil out. I've used it on rear ends many times.

What he said.....

Suction guns are available at NAPA, or any other fine auto parts store. Never saw a drain plug on a bush hog gear box.

/ Changing Rotary Cutter Gearbox Oil #4  
Your wife probably has a bulb syringe turkey baster kind of thing that will probably work.:D Just slip a small piece of rubber hose over the end and insert that down in fill plug hole.

/ Changing Rotary Cutter Gearbox Oil #5  
All I do is chain the cutter to my FEL and tip it enough to drain all of the fluid. Takes all of five minutes to get every last drop out!

Gary

/ Changing Rotary Cutter Gearbox Oil #6  
Not sure about yours but some gear box's just don't have a drain plug. Seems dumb but they don't. Either use a suction gun to remove the oil or as was suggested, tip it up with your FEL.

/ Changing Rotary Cutter Gearbox Oil #7  
Yes, few today have any type of bottom drain plug.

"All I do is chain the cutter to my FEL and tip it enough to drain all of the fluid. Takes all of five minutes to get every last drop out!.."

I know of some who have done this.......flip the unit over and drain that way.

Many others use the method above and suction the oil out via the top plug.

To date, I have yet had to do either. Box lubricant is good and no leaks and no funny sounds on either the 40 year old or 3 year old units, so.

/ Changing Rotary Cutter Gearbox Oil #8  
How about pumping the grease in, and open the level plug and let it displace the oil.. that should leave you with a pretty sticky mess.

Ya got leaky seals or????

Soundguy