Changing times

/ Changing times #1  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I just reviewed an old thread - Magnetic Cup holders - June, 2004. It was brought back to life by one comment posted yesterday. There is not much in this world that I could care less about than magnetic cup holders.

HOWEVER - there is one interesting item common to all twenty or so posts except the last one.

All posters, except the last one, listed a location - every one. All twenty were posted in June, 2004 - except the last one.

What is it with posters today - is it considered COOL to remain location anonymous. Are we concerned that - knowing our location, such as Bird lists - Texas or me - Amber, WA - evildoers, miscreants, etc will find us and do us harm.

Nobody wants or asks that you list your social security number, phone number or street address.

Come on folks - most of us come to TBN to seek answers. A lot of times your location, along with other stuff, common to only your current question - can/will be a great assist in getting a GOOD answer. Understand - if in the text of my first post I tell you that I live in Amber, WA - that will not carry over to further posts.

And I will certainly acknowledge - there ARE posts where your location is of little or negligible value.

But for golly sakes - list your location, in your profile, and give us chance to provide more specific answers.

It gets a little weary typing a half page answer and not knowing if will have any bearing on the question asked - because location would have had a significant impact.

Anyhow - thanks for listening................

/ Changing times #2  
I know Mate, I know... :sigh:

Fair Dinkum, if I didn't include my 'location' I swear half you Blokes would reckon I lived next door.

(... and would want to borrow one of your implements.)

((... which I wouldn't 'cause most of you are hung up on bloody SSQA which is rare down here!))

/ Changing times
Or, at least, on the same street.

/ Changing times #4  
((... which I wouldn't 'cause most of you are hung up on bloody SSQA which is rare down here!))

I'll bet none of those old posts mentioned that thing either.

Do people really change front implements every few minutes now?

/ Changing times #5  
I'll bet none of those old posts mentioned that thing either.

Do people really change front implements every few minutes now?

That was a joke... there've been many a 'discussion' about Global (European) QA, SSQA and JDQA on TBN over the years. One of the 'arguments' raised was about borrowing a FEL implement from a neighbour.

/ Changing times #6  
I'm super new to this world, but my neighbors all have MUCH bigger machines, so the widths, sizes and weights of implements aren't even close. But as I understand it, you lose capacity which is not something I'd be willing to give up for the sake of convenience. But then again, I don't change tools often enough for it to make a difference. I've considered a pallet fork (you know to help move the ones in the fields around a bit), but I don't need bale spears or anything else I can think of. I'm not even sure I'll ever take the FEL off unless for some kind of service. I have a way to strap the container cage/work platform in place, so I don't even need the forks for that.

/ Changing times #7  
Time when discussion was is it better to connect the belt pully to thresher using front drive or back the tractor so rear pully could run the machine.
And when tractors were beginning to change over to rubber tires be sure to drop the ground chain or kicked on your but by static.
Was kerosene better than tractor fuel. and always start on gas from the day tank then switch to main tank.
The Prestolite grease gun was better than others. and grease came in 5 gallon buckets .
The use of kerosene was discouraged in the radiator since anti-freeze wasn't invented yet.
using water and covering radiator with cardboard to get heat in engine. then be sure to drain when parked to keep from freezing breaking the block.
All tractors were open station. designed to be able to stand and operate or sit on the iron seat.
ken

/ Changing times #8  
There was a discussion recently on this very subject until it got closed. This is part of the reason which I gave then.
I guess that would make me aloof, also. I don't see the need to put out on a public forum where I live and/or everything that I have. Furthermore, everything I've read and learned about internet safety indicates the same, it's pretty scary how much can be gleaned by somebody with the right (wrong) program, a little time, and the intent of nefarious activity...

...I was on FB for a while, until I realized what a data mining site it really is. (Also pretty boring place.) They have a feature where, using the location feature on your smart phone you can post where you are. They live in Mass but have a camp on the coast of Maine.She would post "we are at this restaurant in Bar Harbor"... meanwhile everybody knows where their house is, we've all seen pictures of her husband's M-F tractor. Lt40 sawmill, her Camaro which is 200 miles from them in the garage... to me it's just a way of saying "Hey thieves, we're not home! Open House, come help yourselves!"
And to your comment about geography pertinent to answering a question...
That would be a good time to also include your approximate location. Anybody reading your post would then know without even the need to look at your profile. Even better, you could give the approximate region where you are willing to travel to.
This is an open forum, anybody can read what you write. There are people out there who have nothing better to do all day than peruse the internet finding ways to take what you have worked for in various ways. I honestly don't know how much somebody can find out if they are determined enough to write a data mining script seeking out what you have posted; but I have written under the same user name for almost 20 years and have said a lot of things in that time. (Any day now I expect to see the black helicopters swoop in. :D)
Last month I received an email from a convenience store which I visit occasionally; I have no idea how they even got my address. It doesn't bother me so much that they have it, I just would like to know how.
I may be paranoid, but they really are out to get me. :eek:

/ Changing times
Jstpssng - - No, I do not think you are the least bit paranoid - just being careful - which we all need to be in todays society. However - if they( whoever "they" may be ) can find you - it surely won't be because you listed the state you live in. I may be a bit foolish but I can't see anybody finding me - even though I list - Amber, WA.

Heck - I've attached an aerial view map with red lined road - right to my first gate on the county road and folks still can't find me.

But, everybody's situation is unique and NOBODY needs to feel bullied into giving any info, anywhere, about their location if it makes them uncomfortable.

I just want folks to understand - some times location CAN be important to a helpful answer.

Perhaps my situation is underscored by my reputation in this general area. I'm known to be rather "prickeley" to those who come thru my two gates, both with large, legible "No Tresspassing" signs and may end up in my yard with the excuse - "We be lost". Or they have the cojones to say one of my neighbors gave them permission.

This does not happen very often but it's really insulting to think, while all the time it takes for them to drive down my driveway - they can't come up with a better story.

I'm sure you are aware - there a countless companies whose sole job is to collect, collate and sell lists with data. I'm very familiar with three such companies - that for a price can provide just about any data anybody could want - be the intended use reputable or otherwise.

I'm still on good terms with both County & State law enforcement - even though I've seen fit to call them a few times. Some folks just never seem to understand the word - NO.

Last edited:
   / Changing times
Actually - it probably would be correct to say - if a person were really concerned about being identified and their exact location being found or certain information be ascertained - they should stay completely off any social media web site. The current software being used by those collecting this data is truly awesome. People will, over time, forget and divulge info that can be critical. Particularly those sites where anything and everything is passed back and forth.

The erroneous idea that there are secure chat rooms is a complete farce. They are only secure to those who do not have the necessary software.