Changing YM2000D fan belt. Need help.

/ Changing YM2000D fan belt. Need help. #1  

BurningBushFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
YM2000D
Picked up the A-37 / 4L390 fan belt mentioned earlier. (Took it back inside for them to recheck it as it didn't look right when I got to the car and sure enough they gave me the wrong one. So took care of that before we got home and discovered the ooops.)

The old belt had been on since --- oh, who knows when. (It may have been on the tractor when I bought it 7 or 8 years ago? Or maybe when we replaced the radiator we put a new one on??) Bolts were a bit of a bear to get loosened on the alternator. BUT ...

Feeling like total idiots here. :oops: We finally got the belt in and on and hubby (I am helping) is over on the other side and I'm looking at it going ... "That can't be right ..."

Do you have to drain the radiator and remove the lower hose so it fits inside the fan belt? The way I wrangled it on, the belt coming off the lower pulley lays across /ON the lower radiator hose on its way up to the alternator. As I said ... idiots up here. We had no pictures to go by, and the old belt was in shreds when I cut it off so I didn't think to look at how it went down below.

Help us, Obi Wans. :sick:

Thanks.
BBF

/ Changing YM2000D fan belt. Need help. #2  
Not sure what era YM2000 you have. So, look at all of the attachments. :)

It may show how the belt is routed.

Compliments of the Yanmar Tractor Owners Group on GroupsIO.

Attachments

• YANMAR YM1700 YM2000 1ST EDITION PARTS MANUAL NPC-9008.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 105
  • YANMAR YM1700 YM2000 PARTS MANUAL.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 72
  • YANMAR YM2000B BD BZ BDZ PARTS MANUAL NPC-1091.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 76
   / Changing YM2000D fan belt. Need help. #3  
I'm in town right now so I can't see mine.

I looked for photos online. This was the only relevant one I found. Looks like the hose has to come off.
https://www.murphyauction.com/Content/Static/Auction/620/10170.14.JPG

And incidentally there's another photo of that auction tractor showing a potential disaster. There's a PTO shaft still attached to the PTO, turned upward, with the seatbelt used to hold it there. If anyone engages the PTO lever they will likely be injured as the shaft flails around.

Here's the auction URL:

/ Changing YM2000D fan belt. Need help.
Here's what it looks like at this point .... It seems pretty obvious. (We are thinking to get a couple new radiator hoses as we go into the next stage and do some preventative maintenance while we are at it.)

I noticed in someone else's post on a different model that they had trouble with a new fan belt rubbing on their radiator hose. Sounded similar but he solved it by getting a slightly longer belt (Not where we are at.)

Maybe need to drop Aaron at Hoye a note?

Here's what I see ...

Attachments

• 2000D_fan belt problem_sm.jpg
    2000D_fan belt problem_sm.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 59
   / Changing YM2000D fan belt. Need help. #5  
This hose is pretty ugly but should help see the routing. You will need to remove that lower hose.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 65
   / Changing YM2000D fan belt. Need help. #6  
I'm late here you have your answer. I have my tractor at my house but I 100% remembered when you said something about the hose. Yep you have to pop it off and back on. Grab you a clean bucket. Drain radiator (has an easy petcock) and then refill when done with same coolant. Or take this as an opportunity to change the coolant if needed. Which reminds me again. I need to change mine.