Charging battery at starter connection

/ Charging battery at starter connection #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
The battery on one of my machines is a devil to get at and I'd like to charge the battery overnight in the cold weather we're having. Is there any reason to not connect to the positive terminal on starter? The only difference I can see is there's a few feet of cable connecting the positive post on the battery to the starter terminal, and things are a bit more congested around the starter terminal. But if I'm careful to not touch anything else, I don't see what difference it makes.

/ Charging battery at starter connection #2  
Will work just fine as long as there is not a solenoid switch between the starter & the battery.

/ Charging battery at starter connection #3  
The maintenance charger on my tractor is hooked up that way.

/ Charging battery at starter connection #4  
The battery on one of my machines is a devil to get at and I'd like to charge the battery overnight in the cold weather we're having. Is there any reason to not connect to the positive terminal on starter? The only difference I can see is there's a few feet of cable connecting the positive post on the battery to the starter terminal, and things are a bit more congested around the starter terminal. But if I'm careful to not touch anything else, I don't see what difference it makes.

you can hook the charge cable between fram and any hot that runs directly to the battery that is capable of handling the current.

I'm guessing you are saying there is a hot that runs to a starter with an incorporated start relay and solenoid, and you are going to hook tot he leg running right to the battery.

/ Charging battery at starter connection #5  
I have done that many times on several different machines, even jump started from that connection.

/ Charging battery at starter connection #6  
The starter on my backhoe is nicely exposed and has an extended positive terminal leading to the battery. The lead is about a 00 sized wire. The battery is totally enclosed under a step... removing several bolts is required to access it.

The starter terminal and frame ground has worked very well for charging and even jump starting with a 100 amp booster.

/ Charging battery at starter connection #7  
Wife car has battery under back seat I hooked to hot wire at starter and grounded at frame under hood

/ Charging battery at starter connection #8  
Like others said can be done, though be careful as the battery terminal and the Starter SOL are often very close. The Alligator Clamps can slip and short out the two, turning the starter motor ON cranking the engine and really making for a BAD DAY. I have seen it once & luckily the machine was not in gear, destroyed battery and starter at a min, maybe flywheel could be damaged as well...
I suggest if you intend to do this is to install a TWO POLE PLUG rated to handle the charging amps, my trickle charger is hooked up this way. Boosting can also be done this way but you would need a HIGH CURRENT plug/cables...

I forgot to mention that I have on 2 different times seen others hook up these type of chargers to the WRONG post (basically sent charging current thru the starters any time it was plugged in as they had hooked it up to the starter side of the main & not the SOL side....) :/

Mark

/ Charging battery at starter connection
Thanks for replies. The starter terminal I'll use is connected directly to battery with a 4ga cable and nothing else in between. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obviously stupid about doing this. It's supposed to snow tonight and be a high of 2deg tomorrow, so I don't want to be out there freezing my acorns off.

/ Charging battery at starter connection #10  
I have had to do this many times. My tractor has the battery under the hood which can not be lifted unless the FEL is in the air.

Chris