Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,771  
But I’m trying to get starlink.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,772  
Splitting between a Mobley and a Mobley sim in my MOFI. I signed up for Starlink.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,773  
I'm still using the Mobley plan with a Nighthawk. Working better than ever.

I did manage to get into Starlink... That arrived Monday. Been more disconnects than I expected even though I know it to be a beta. Sometimes it's not just a few second dropout but the whole system loses connection and you have to disconnect wifi and reconnect to restore it. Not ready to be a complete replacement for a stable ISP yet, but I have hope that it gets better in coming months.

Rob

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,774  
Are they charging you to beta test starlink? Did you have to commit to purchase anything?

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,775  
Yes to both. Terms of service are as they are expected to be at full operation. There is no contract or commitment but the equipment has a cost and the $99/mo is the standard subscription cost.

I wouldn't jump in like this with most things but having lived in a rural area with very, very limited ISP offerings for 5 years now and relying on Internet access for my work it is worth it to me to get in early even if I have to put up with sub-par situations for a short while. It's a calculated risk because if they ramp up later this year as expected the potential for delays in getting equipment may be very real. To have access to 150+Mb/s service with truly unlimited data (versus 40-90Mb/s and the constant threat of throttling or outright discontinuation of the Mobley plan) is worth it to me. I'm not parting ways with my backup ISP quite yet (DSL), but I will within a month or two. And the cost of the Starlink service is a wash with that, but with dramatically better capability (150+Mb/s vs 5Mb/s). SpaceX has already had 25 launches of Starlink satellites (60 per launch), including 9 already in 2021. They are at just under 15% of their total planned sats right now so I think the situation is actually pretty good considering that.

I'm sure people will drop by to say "that's stupid that you are paying for a 'beta' situation", but so be it. This is one of the most significant game changers to us that we've been looking for since moving here and I'm OK with the situation.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,776  
Yes to both. Terms of service are as they are expected to be at full operation. There is no contract or commitment but the equipment has a cost and the $99/mo is the standard subscription cost.

I wouldn't jump in like this with most things but having lived in a rural area with very, very limited ISP offerings for 5 years now and relying on Internet access for my work it is worth it to me to get in early even if I have to put up with sub-par situations for a short while. It's a calculated risk because if they ramp up later this year as expected the potential for delays in getting equipment may be very real. To have access to 150+Mb/s service with truly unlimited data (versus 40-90Mb/s and the constant threat of throttling or outright discontinuation of the Mobley plan) is worth it to me. I'm not parting ways with my backup ISP quite yet (DSL), but I will within a month or two. And the cost of the Starlink service is a wash with that, but with dramatically better capability (150+Mb/s vs 5Mb/s). SpaceX has already had 25 launches of Starlink satellites (60 per launch), including 9 already in 2021. They are at just under 15% of their total planned sats right now so I think the situation is actually pretty good considering that.

I'm sure people will drop by to say "that's stupid that you are paying for a 'beta' situation", but so be it. This is one of the most significant game changers to us that we've been looking for since moving here and I'm OK with the situation.
I wish i could buy into your "stupid beta" situation. I work from home and have three different connections/hotspots and get almost 1Mb for each one.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,777  
Something new on the AT&T Speedtest, a "Wi-Fi gateway test": Internet Speed Test – AT&T Official Site

6-10-21.png

6-10-21 0747.JPG

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,778  
But what is the difference in the test? Reg test about 5mbps gateway about 15mbps for me.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,779  
Didn't run both this morning. Speed always drops after 8 AM.
Ran both now:
6.2Mbps.JPG
8.6Mbps.JPG

Gateway shows a little faster.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,780  
Apparently the gateway test is only for their wifi link. When I sign in it disappears, just the normal speedtest.