Cheap battery cover...

/ Cheap battery cover... #1  

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
I had some left over Wally 1/4" sign foam board and made a quick cover/snow deflector for the battery. Whilst snow blowing the lake effect stuff, my battery was getting blasted with snow sucked into AC/hyd/intercooler/coolant radiators. Was finding icy blob on top of the battery at the end of running the blower. To keep this from possibly effecting the posts and connectors, I just covered it with some left over foam board from the radiator cover I had made earlier [ 12" center hole ]. Anywhilst, we will see if this keeps the top of the battery dryer. Getting a day off from the everyday road clearing duties today... :)

Attachments

• SAM_0787 (Large).JPG
    SAM_0787 (Large).JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 139
  • SAM_0788 (Large).JPG
    SAM_0788 (Large).JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 109
   / Cheap battery cover... #2  
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I love all of the ingenuity here on TBN. I just picked up my Meteor 60-inch and I can see these same symptoms happening with the reverse flow (op station to front) cooling fan system on my MF GC1720. I may have to borrow this idea.

/ Cheap battery cover... #3  
I had some left over Wally 1/4" sign foam board and made a quick cover/snow deflector for the battery. Whilst snow blowing the lake effect stuff, my battery was getting blasted with snow sucked into AC/hyd/intercooler/coolant radiators. Was finding icy blob on top of the battery at the end of running the blower. To keep this from possibly effecting the posts and connectors, I just covered it with some left over foam board from the radiator cover I had made earlier [ 12" center hole ]. Anywhilst, we will see if this keeps the top of the battery dryer. Getting a day off from the everyday road clearing duties today... :)
That looks good. Real nice. As long as it's not gas tight so hydrogen has a way to vent, you're good to go. That is unless you've changed the battery to an AGM type.

/ Cheap battery cover... #4  
Nice job, Jerry, but I think I'd like to be able to see the terminals so I can see how badly they're corroding.

/ Cheap battery cover...
Nice job, Jerry, but I think I'd like to be able to see the terminals so I can see how badly they're corroding.

I will take it off in the Spring, if I am not too senile to remember... along with the cover I put on the radiator... AND, if I am still kicking... [[ :) ]]

/ Cheap battery cover... #6  
I will take it off in the Spring, if I am not too senile to remember... along with the cover I put on the radiator... AND, if I am still kicking... [[ :) ]]

Just put a note to yourself on your can of wax. That way you'll be sure to see it.

/ Cheap battery cover...
:) :) :) [ probably be better to put note on my diesel cans... been burning a lot moving snow... ]

/ Cheap battery cover... #8  
:) :) :) [ probably be better to put note on my diesel cans... been burning a lot moving snow... ]

I kinda figured you didn't wax until the weather improved a little so it seemed the ideal place.