Cheap, sturdy, handy chainsaw holders.

/ Cheap, sturdy, handy chainsaw holders. #1  

MechanicalGuy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota mx5200
So I've seen no shortage of high dollar expensive chainsaw scabbards. Here is my solution. I use my bike rack that fits into a 2" receiver, which also doubles as my weed wacker holder when I'm driving around or in my tractor, and I bolt on a piece of pressure treated lumber that I've made a bore cut into with whatever chainsaw I will be carrying. These two are affixed to my rack and they hold my ms441 and my little husky simultaneously. I paint the lumber black so as to look better, and this is a solution that can be bolted onto four wheelers cars trucks etc. The lumber is really cheap in comparison to scabbards, and I make the bore cuts safely by clamping the wood in a vertical position onto something sturdy so I can plunge into the lumber and keep the cut aligned.

20200509_192440.jpg
20200509_192359.jpg

/ Cheap, sturdy, handy chainsaw holders. #3  
So I've seen no shortage of high dollar expensive chainsaw scabbards. Here is my solution. I use my bike rack that fits into a 2" receiver, which also doubles as my weed wacker holder when I'm driving around or in my tractor, and I bolt on a piece of pressure treated lumber that I've made a bore cut into with whatever chainsaw I will be carrying. These two are affixed to my rack and they hold my ms441 and my little husky simultaneously. I paint the lumber black so as to look better, and this is a solution that can be bolted onto four wheelers cars trucks etc. The lumber is really cheap in comparison to scabbards, and I make the bore cuts safely by clamping the wood in a vertical position onto something sturdy so I can plunge into the lumber and keep the cut aligned.

View attachment 654695
View attachment 654696

That looks cool! Got any pics of it attached to the tractor?

Thanks,

/ Cheap, sturdy, handy chainsaw holders. #4  
If I use chainsaw, I need the grapple, then I need the ballast box. I made a wooden box to store chainsaw in the ballast box. Odds of accidently running over it greatly diminished. Quite an exciting ride when saw falls out of bucket and front wheel "finds" it.

Attachments

• 20200510_142234.jpg
    20200510_142234.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 520
  • 20200510_142353.jpg
    20200510_142353.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 459
   / Cheap, sturdy, handy chainsaw holders.
If I use chainsaw, I need the grapple, then I need the ballast box. I made a wooden box to store chainsaw in the ballast box. Odds of accidently running over it greatly diminished. Quite an exciting ride when saw falls out of bucket and front wheel "finds" it.

I put the 2" receiver in my ballast weight.

/ Cheap, sturdy, handy chainsaw holders. #7  
I recently built a removable chainsaw scabbard and tool holder that mounts on the inside of tractor FEL tower. Some pics are attached.

I had wanted to add a chainsaw scabbard to my tractor for long time, but my chain boxes took the most convenient spots for one. So I came up with another way that is working out really well.

If you're interested, I cover the dimensions and build details in a video.

This design should be fairly easy to adapt to other loader designs. Anyone with some angle iron and a welder handy should be able to make a version of it for their tractor.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-00473.jpg
    vlcsnap-00473.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 704
  • vlcsnap-00475.jpg
    vlcsnap-00475.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 708
  • vlcsnap-00477.jpg
    vlcsnap-00477.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 652
  • vlcsnap-00478.jpg
    vlcsnap-00478.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 671
   / Cheap, sturdy, handy chainsaw holders. #9  
IMG_1387.JPG
Cheap scrap pile tool, chain, chainsaw, gas/oil holder. Additional skid plates help protect tractor hydraulics too. Took time and effort up front but saves so much time and much safer now.

/ Cheap, sturdy, handy chainsaw holders. #10  
Here's my version. Note that there is a tool roll and bar oil in the loader mount & held there by the chainsaw blade.
The most useful things I've put on the tractor are probably the 4wd lockout (made from a gate lock) and the little plastic MAIL toolbox on the backside of the backhoe control box. That Mail box was $1.00 at the doller general store. That would be a nice place to mount a nicer box, but that one works surprisingly well, sturdy, & stays dry.
rScotty

Attachments

• 4x4 latch_1.JPG
    4x4 latch_1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 469
  • 4x4 latch_2.JPG
    4x4 latch_2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 497
  • Holster at work.JPG
    Holster at work.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 518
  • Holster.JPG