Cheapest most effective way to guide a pool of water?

/ Cheapest most effective way to guide a pool of water? #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
Hello, I've been spending the past month digging trenches to help with some water runoff on my property.

Luckily doing 4 out of 5 directly in a straight line worked well. I have 1 i am dealing with now where water pools up in a puddle, and I need to dam it up.

What's the cheapest most effective way to divert the water here? It's not a roaring stream, but I just have to guide it into a specific outlet.

I made a dam by placing rocks upright but that didnt hold.

Some other ideas I was thinking:
- use some kind of hard plastic sheeting to make a wall
- stack rocks and use a liner to make a wall
- potentially use some other type of material like galvanized steel to make a wall
- use quickdam? (seems like not a permanent solution and expensive)
- eventually just dump top soil to make banks

Any help would be appreciated.

It doesn't have to be perfect and final, just cost effective and lasting for the time being.

/ Cheapest most effective way to guide a pool of water? #2  
You either need to make the walls higher or the stream (and your desired path for it) lower. Can you sketch or provide a topo map? Have you considered excavating a dry well so it can perhaps perc below the surface instead of puddling?

/ Cheapest most effective way to guide a pool of water?
I already have the whole trench built and the entire system flowing .. I basically just need to make the water "turn" so to speak.

My rudimentary rock **** did the trick but wasn't sturdy enough as I didn't have time to buckle down and do it right.

So now I'm just thinking of some options available to create something more rigid that will work.

/ Cheapest most effective way to guide a pool of water? #4  
Corrugated drain line cut in half - would create semi-circular, rigid yet flexible walls that can take on any path you need.

/ Cheapest most effective way to guide a pool of water? #5  
Sandbags, especially the tubular types for winter which is designed to be placed in vehicles for extra weight for the tires to bite on ice.

/ Cheapest most effective way to guide a pool of water? #6  
Sandbags, especially the tubular types for winter which is designed to be placed in vehicles for extra weight for the tires to bite on ice.

+1 Time proven method of diverting water. I'm not a big fan of Polypropylene as it will last forever but if you are going to remove them one day they can be properly disposed and only about .75 cents/bag. Use cloth or burlap bags you can leave them in place and cover with dirt to make a more permanent dam.