chev truck factory brake control

/ chev truck factory brake control #1  

redharley

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2230
picking up my avalanche on sat. has the factory tow package.my question is, is the brake controler already wired in?can you see it? where is it located. forgive my typing dislocated my shoulder tuesday,one handed for a while.

/ chev truck factory brake control #3  
They offer one starting in 2007 trucks/new body style. It works much like the Ford unit but is not located nearly as convenient. The GM trucks I have seen with it in is mounted down by your left knee as you sit in the drivers seat and the display info is somewhere on the dash, varies by truck. The Ford unit is at eye level just left of the radio in all the applications I have seen and has the display info right there with the control unit, much better placed.

Chris

Last edited:
   / chev truck factory brake control #4  
I have an 07 2500HD EC 4x4 with Duramax / Allison. It came with tow pkg and integrated brake controller already wired in. The settings can be adjusted depending on weight of trailer your towing. Only thing not hooked up is a trailer hot lead wire that is folded up next to the drivers side battery. Hooking this lead (labeled trailer plus) will supply a constant battery voltage to the 12V pin in the trailer plug for charging trailer battery. When the trailer is plugged in it displays on the dashboard trailer connected and will display a bar graph when towing and brakes are applied. I've had no trouble with mine.

/ chev truck factory brake control #5  
Where is your unit located? The ones I have seen are down by the left knee. Also did you have to buy the big fuse for the 12v to the trailer plug. I have had to add this to many GM trucks when I sold trailers to the owner.

Chris

/ chev truck factory brake control #6  
I just found it listed under the Silverado's as an option: Link

Although, I don't see it listed under any of the Avalanche specs.

/ chev truck factory brake control #7  
Where is your unit located? The ones I have seen are down by the left knee. Also did you have to buy the big fuse for the 12v to the trailer plug. I have had to add this to many GM trucks when I sold trailers to the owner.

Chris

The brake controller is by my left knee built into the dash but displays on the dash tach. I hooked my trailer hot wire up to the hot post stud on the front of the fuse box with an inline circuit breaker (not a fuse). I used a CB since that lead charges my trailer battery which powers a winch and an electric hydraulic unit for my tilt bed trailer. I didn't want the winch to overload the wire and burn it up so I used the CB to kick it off then automatically reset.

I previously owned an 05 with the same setup and also used a CB instead of the big fuse in the fusebox. I found that installing one circuit breaker is cheaper than replacing several blown fuses.

/ chev truck factory brake control #8  
I previously owned an 05 with the same setup and also used a CB instead of the big fuse in the fusebox.

Good thinking. I will steal your idea and use it. By the way for anyone looking for the big fuse, its cheapest at the dealer. I was getting them at Napa at about $5 each. They are only $1.50 or something like that at the dealer.

Chris

/ chev truck factory brake control #10  
$200 is a great price. That will be your most liked option on that new truck. I guarantee after you drive a truck with a factory unit like the ones GM and Ford offer you will never want to use a truck with a aftermarket unit. I currently have one truck with the Ford factory unit and 2 with aftermarket units, Prodigy and Reese, and they don't hold a candle to the built in unit.

Chris