choosing a vintage tractor

/ choosing a vintage tractor #1  

rusticgrain

Tractor
IH B-414, mf10
Hey all, new guy here.

I'm looking at buying my first tractor (bigger than my old mf 10 garden tractor). I have my eye on a couple different options, and looking for some thoughts. Looking for something to use around the homestead, ploughing the garden, snow plowing, hauling firewood etc, maybe someday clearing some small sections of land (not pulling stumps but small scale clearing). I'm torn between a ford NAA, TE20 or an International (414 or 434 to be determined this weekend). I've found a couple of each locally in my budget. The NAA and TEA don't have hi-lo options which I think would be useful in the woods and think I would like to have. Cost a little more than the International but the International is missing the fenders so I'll need to source some. All gas models, International hasn't been run in a while but it's a family member selling it so I know it's a good runner.

There is also a b250 international diesel that lands at the top end of my budget that comes with a loader but I think I probably wouldn't use the loader much, and hear they are a pain to steer without the loader let alone with it so don't think that's a good choice.

Would the 8 speed International be my better choice of them all? or are the NAA/TE20 geared low enough that they'd be fine in the woods?

/ choosing a vintage tractor #2  
You'd be surprised at how handy a loader can be. Power steering is a big plus, if available (probably not, on the choices you listed).
I think the known condition/history International would be my choice. Keeping the $ in the family too, would be good. Used fenders are a pretty easy pick (except for shipping $$$).

/ choosing a vintage tractor
I did go with the international from my uncle this weekend. Definitely going to be some work to get it going but he sold it to me cheap enough I could sink $1500 into it and still be cheaper than the other options. Now to find the time to work on it.

My father has an old set of clamshell fenders I can put on it for now and a set of Ring chains I can have so should make a cheap setup once I get it up in running.

/ choosing a vintage tractor #4  
Can you post a photo?

The nice thing about getting a tractor that needs serious work is that by the time you're done, you know that tractor well, and you will be willing to make repairs and take it apart again if necessary without hesitation.

/ choosing a vintage tractor #5  
Another nice thing with vintage tractors is their simplicity. No microchips, simple tools will keep them going forever.

/ choosing a vintage tractor #6  
You DONT want naa/te20 if you want slow speed! I have naa and its useless! First gear feels like 10mph and goes up from there! lol!
b-250 not good choice either --- 2 reasons---British and diesel! Complicated and expensive to have someone fix when they dont go.

/ choosing a vintage tractor #7  
Another nice thing with vintage tractors is their simplicity. No microchips, simple tools will keep them going forever.

True but parts may be more expensive and harder to find than a newer tractor. I just bought $235 a water pump for a JD 420C. My eyes are still watering from the price of a new carburetor for it--$350+. :censored: But, it is easy to work on the top end. :laughing: