Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last?

/ Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last? #1  

goeduck

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
Last year I pitched my cheap outdoor Christmas lights when half the strings quit working by the time I took them down and thought this year I would inve$t in some commercial brand LED lights. I want to go with a screw in type with wiring such that when one build goes, just that bulb goes. Part of why I want the screw in type is so I can change bulb colors depending on what SWMBO tells me she wants each year. There seems to be a bit of a price spread and I am betting the lower cost ones are calling themselves commercial grade but really are not. Any luck with finding a good brand out there?

/ Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last? #2  
Short answer: as for my experience, no.

/ Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last? #3  
Yes... and can often be had for nothing at garage sales.

Still using the outdoor strings from the 1960's... bulbs harder to find but free or nearly so at garage sales.

I figure Grandma's 1960 set ought to last to 2060... and I have enough bulbs to keep them lit.

Co-workers see lights as disposable... they buy and then toss... said not worth storing.

We did the same at work until I took over the Christmas Tree... Director of Nursing said the two year old tree should be tossed... reason... half the lights don't work... that was 12 years ago.... maybe she was just being cagey because she "Gave" the responsibility to me...

Really??? who throws out a tree because some lights don't work?

Picture from of work throw away tree... room lighting not the best but hardly worth tossing in my humble opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_20171216_123102527.jpg
    IMG_20171216_123102527.jpg
    667.7 KB · Views: 100
   / Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last? #4  
I use the invisible lights - no hassle to put up or take down and will be problem free for life......

/ Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last? #5  
I like it...

As a kid the house lights were linked from house to house for the entire cuddle sack… us kids thought is was the greatest thing.

Today... not a single string in Mom's old neighborhood...

/ Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last?
Yes... and can often be had for nothing at garage sales.

Still using the outdoor strings from the 1960's... bulbs harder to find but free or nearly so at garage sales.

I figure Grandma's 1960 set ought to last to 2060... and I have enough bulbs to keep them lit.

Co-workers see lights as disposable... they buy and then toss... said not worth storing.

We did the same at work until I took over the Christmas Tree... Director of Nursing said the two year old tree should be tossed... reason... half the lights don't work... that was 12 years ago.... maybe she was just being cagey because she "Gave" the responsibility to me...

Really??? who throws out a tree because some lights don't work?

Picture from of work throw away tree... room lighting not the best but hardly worth tossing in my humble opinion.

I have no idea what happened to my old light sets from years ago.... too many moves I guess. I normally do not throw things out just because bulbs (or the like) are bad but in this case I did because the tiny bulb prongs would corrode and break if they were left up too long and got wet too often. The replacement bulbs seemed to be sized for the lights in the string and would not be as bright (or too bright), then the plug in bases were different..... in the trash they went.

My quest here is more outdoor lights and I am looking at the C7 base with LED bulbs. This way I can swap bulbs easily as the bulbs go out. I did find a place that sells C7 string on a reel which allows you to cut it to length and fasten your own ends. The wire comes in two thickness options on the insulation which is a nice option as well. I see some alternating color LEDs but they change colors individually, not as a string. Decisions, decisions....

/ Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last? #7  
The replacement bulbs seemed to be sized for the lights in the string and would not be as bright (or too bright), then the plug in bases were different..... in the trash they went.

Yeah, I've notice that too...no 2 sets ever seem to have the same bases.

I'll usually get 3-4 years out of a set, sometimes longer. I just buy 'em after Christmas when they're half price. Still pains me to throw away "perfectly good" Christmas lights that the only thing wrong with them is that they don't work though.
Don't put up very many anyway...we've got a huge bush in front of the house I'll put them on, that's about it.

/ Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last? #8  
What about the low Cost LED strings sold for patio lights at Costco... you don't get the colors but some don't use colors anyway?

The old fashion lights used the same base as the 7.5W night lights if I remember...

I know we had a limit to how many would could string without blowing the fuse to the front porch light.

Imagine that is not a problem these days...

My friends in Austria still use real candles on their trees... I was in disbelief... my host said everyone does... but the fresh cut tree appears on Christmas Eve and home construction is plastered concrete block and concrete decks...

On a side not they can't get over how noisy American houses are... studs/joists and drywall you know.

I can see where you would have severe climate issues... seems to remember most Decembers being rather wet around Olympia... we are still waiting for any real rain here... been something like 6 months???

/ Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last?
I can see where you would have severe climate issues... seems to remember most Decembers being rather wet around Olympia... we are still waiting for any real rain here... been something like 6 months???

Yes, I live on the water and when we have rain and wind the house basically gets sprayed down. No salt spray, it is rain but it is kind of like your car windshield while driving in the rain. I am lucky to get 2 years out of the cheapie sets.

/ Christmas Lights, any outdoor ones that last? #10  
I purchased sealed commercial led light sets 4 years ago and there still working fine. The screw in types let in moisture. The sealed ones do not. Got them thru an online lighting store.