Circle Driveway or No?

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
We have a circle drive and love it - extra parking for visitors (my wife loves having parties), easy deliveries (trucks can pull directly to front doors and does not ever have to back up or turn around) and we can park in front if we are only going to be home a little while before leaving again.

We had both water and power put under the circle area for sprinklers and gates.

It’ll look great, less grass to mow and more convenience.

Only downside to me - when it snows there is more area to plow! But it doesn’t snow here all that much.

Good luck.

MoKelly

Keweenaw County Yooper

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T574,JD 420, JD 140 H3, Miscellanies Wheel Horse
I had to have a circle drive or I would have to clear out more woods then I want to. I love my woods and don't want to take out anymore trees then necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 56

OP
M

MGH PA

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
Thanks for all of the input so far. I do not have a drone shot of the property and aerial imagery doesn't show our house since it's so new.

I do have a question about the power/water run. This isn't going to necessarily be landscaped like an estate, so aside from watering plants/accent lighting or a water feature, what is the reason behind needing it run? Just because if you don't do it now, you can't easily do it later, I suppose?

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
I do have a question about the power/water run. This isn't going to necessarily be landscaped like an estate, so aside from watering plants/accent lighting or a water feature, what is the reason behind needing it run? Just because if you don't do it now, you can't easily do it later, I suppose?

For us - that was exactly the answer.

My wife knew what she wanted in that area and knew she wanted a gate. So, we ran water to the planting areas and electric to where the gates would be installed.

It was easier to do it before the concrete was poured. I guess if you are having a gravel drive it’s not that big of a hassle to run what you need later.

MoKelly

zzvyb6

Elite Member
Tractor
jd 1070
Don't put in a 2 entrance/exit driveway, you ould need a 'horse-shoe' route to allow exiting without backing up. Only one entrance with a gate and an alarm transponder is all I'd recommend. works just dandy for deliveries, trailers, and visitors.

ssgp2

Tractor
JD 990
Don't know your plans or what the rest of your yard is like, but our circle drive goes around the the whole house.

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610 G series w/turfs
Small circle drives are like small round-a-bouts...they suck. Instead, I would have a backup area to the left of the small cones where it looks like someone drove. That area would be great for a basketball hoop too.

repete

Platinum Member
Tractor
L2550DT IH584-4WD
Even if you do not think you need it run at least two chase pipe under the slab or gravel for future pulls of water or power. I suggest 2" pvc. Cheap.

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Think of fire trucks. Fire crews may be more willing to protect your house in a wildfire if it is easy in and out.

Bruce