CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb

/ CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb #1  

Amvcane

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 Kioti CK35hst tlb; 1990 JD 322; 1987 JD 332; 1985 JD 318; 2010 JD ProGator 2030A; 1982 Porsche 911sc
I am looking to purchase a bolt on backhoe thumb for my CK35 with a KB2475 backhoe.
In the research phase right now and was wondering what brands others have bought, along with some pros and cons, and estimated price.
As usual, I will be using the thumb to pick-up and place rocks and also for holding logs to ease cutting.

/ CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb #2  

Kioti guy

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 kioti ck 20S Hst,Case D
I am looking for one for my CK 20 w/2365 backhoe. The only one I have seen so far is the wallenstein , it looks nice but expensive. I would like to hear some feedback from somebody that has one.

/ CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb #3  

VictorW

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST
Michigan Iron and Equipment is a Kioti dealer and also make thumbs and other things for Kioti tractors. I believe a few members have used their thumbs and liked them. Here's their site to do some comparing. Error

/ CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb
OP
Amvcane

Amvcane

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 Kioti CK35hst tlb; 1990 JD 322; 1987 JD 332; 1985 JD 318; 2010 JD ProGator 2030A; 1982 Porsche 911sc
Not sure if the MIE model is bolt on. I really don't want to weld anything to the backhoe arm.
I really like the way the BX-pand model looks and telescopes with some square tube stock. Not sure if they make one for the KB 2475 yet. Will find out.
I used a hydraulic thumb recently but never a mechanical one. If many of the Cons that I receive tell me that I have to dismount the station to often to adjust, then I might just have to save up some more money for a hydro unit.

/ CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb #5  

IXLR8

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK-40SE
I had a manual thumb on the BH on my CK30 and I put the MIE hydraulic thumb on the Woods BH on my DK40. If you don't use the thumb often, less than 12 times per year, then I would cheap out and go with a manual thumb. As I get tired of getting out of the seat and redoing the manual thumb and sometimes getting my hand pinched in the process, :eek: I got the hydraulic thumb on my DK40 and won't have another BH without it.

Last edited:
   / CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb #6  

Buggs67

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2014 CK2510 TLB
Not sure if the MIE model is bolt on. I really don't want to weld anything to the backhoe arm.
I really like the way the BX-pand model looks and telescopes with some square tube stock. Not sure if they make one for the KB 2475 yet. Will find out.
I used a hydraulic thumb recently but never a mechanical one. If many of the Cons that I receive tell me that I have to dismount the station to often to adjust, then I might just have to save up some more money for a hydro unit.

I contacted BXpanded about thumbs. He said he's thinking about one for the Kioti and would have to get measurements. I offered to take measurements; no reply. I also asked if he had the dimensions of the one he makes so I could figure out if it'd work. Also no response. I was considering designing my own but I'd have to have a steel company cut the steel since I don't have the metal working/welding abilities. The MIE unit is too expensive for me to justify so far.

/ CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb #7  

worthb

Bronze Member
I contacted BXpanded about thumbs. He said he's thinking about one for the Kioti and would have to get measurements. I offered to take measurements; no reply. I also asked if he had the dimensions of the one he makes so I could figure out if it'd work. Also no response. I was considering designing my own but I'd have to have a steel company cut the steel since I don't have the metal working/welding abilities. The MIE unit is too expensive for me to justify so far.

I tried for over a year to get Harry to build me a thumb. I finally figured out a way to do it cheaper. Buy the Titan bolt on thumb from Amazon or another retailer and saw the mount in half. I only had to purchase 1 $5 pin to make it all work. I have a CK35 with the 2475 hoe. The thumb cost me $200!

Harry builds a good product, and I will be getting a tooth bar from him. I just felt like he had other more important projects.

ForumRunner_20151218_210733.png

ForumRunner_20151218_210749.png

/ CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb
OP
Amvcane

Amvcane

Platinum Member
Tractor
Worthb, that's what I'm looking for.
Could you explain what you mean by cut. And also is there enough clearance between the dipper arm and curl cylinder?

/ CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb #9  

Apsterbobed

Silver Member
Tractor
DK40SE HST
Here is my thought on mechanical versus hydraulic. I used to run a full size excavator with a hydraulic thumb, it was very convenient, also used an 8000 lb mini with a mechanical thumb. The mechanical thumb was only an isues when you had to fold it up to get it out of the way but 90% of the time it didn't matter that it was mechanical. So when we got the Dk40 and backhoe I didn't give it two thoughts and went cheep with a mechanical thumb. This is the first back hoe that I have used and the smallest. What I never noticed on the mini with the mechanical thumb is that I could jockey the machine to get the thumb at a better angle and you can't do that with the back hoe. It takes about the same amount of time to either adjust the angle of the thumb or move the tractor to get things aligned, and both become a pain in the butt quickly. Also the smaller size of the boom and bucket puts the thumb in the way more often when digging out stumps and rocks. At some point I plan on converting my mechanical to hydraulic. I agree with IXLR8, if you don't plan on using it much than go mechanical but if it's something you plan on utilizing for any specific task regularly I would recommend hydraulic.

/ CK 35 bolt on backhoe thumb #10  

worthb

Bronze Member
Worthb, that's what I'm looking for.
Could you explain what you mean by cut. And also is there enough clearance between the dipper arm and curl cylinder?

The side plates that mount to the boom are welded together with a plate at the rear, and a boss for the large bolt that the thumb pivots on. I simply made 1 single cut in the middle of both with a Sawzall to separate the mount into 2 halves. There is plenty of clearance for the curl cylinder. I eventually stacked 2 small pieces of 3/16th plate under the adjustable plate at the top of the thumb so I could slide it further down the boom. I did have to buy 1 longer pin for the rear linkage pivot at TSC. It works very well for a $200 experiment.