CK2610H : front axle pivot won't take grease

/ CK2610H : front axle pivot won't take grease #1  

mangler

Gold Member
Tractor
Sears G5500, Kioti CK2610
Coming on 15 hrs I decided to hit all the grease fittings on the tractor (Amsoil GLC grease, in a Powerfist 18L air grease pump, lockn lube fitting, 5000 psi).

Most fittings took grease well, with some loader bushings not expelling grease on both sides (heard this was common with new/tight bushings).
Still learning with the new pneumatic grease pump, you have to be polite with the trigger (it pumps out A LOT of grease).

The front axle pivot zerk would not take grease. Zero action there. Wondering if this is a common issue. Next step will be taking the zerk out and looking for paint blockage. I can see that part getting a lot of wear, and now I am concerned it was never greased, even at the dealership. The intermediary shaft bushing took grease just fine, so I know the lock and lube will seal on the smaller zerks without issue.

According to the manual I still have to hit a clutch pedal and 3pt arm zerk. Hopefully these are clear...

/ CK2610H : front axle pivot won't take grease #2  
If you have an FEL on the tractor - use it to raise the front wheels off the ground slightly. This will take the load off the front axle pivot and the zerks might take the grease.

/ CK2610H : front axle pivot won't take grease
If you have an FEL on the tractor - use it to raise the front wheels off the ground slightly. This will take the load off the front axle pivot and the zerks might take the grease.

Thanks oosik, will try that tonight. Sounds easier than taking the zerk out :)

/ CK2610H : front axle pivot won't take grease #4  
Including the FEL, grapple, tractor & rear blade - there are 36+ zerks on my tractor. There is one zerk on the grapple that is stubborn. I have to raise the lid on the grapple - then the zerk easily takes grease.

You might want to raise the front wheels about a foot off the ground. Tip the axel - up/down. This could also help.

Have fun - BE SAFE.

/ CK2610H : front axle pivot won't take grease #5  
I used a zerk zapper on the front pivot with the wheels off the ground. Was still work but better than taking it apart.

/ CK2610H : front axle pivot won't take grease #6  
When you grease the front pivot, the grease fills up the small space between the axle pivot pin and the housing in which the pin pivots inside of. There is also a lip and dust seal that keeps the grease in and dust out of the pivot. That lip seal is preventing the grease from coming out, as it should. So when you pressure up that zerk, and the void is full of grease already, and the grease cannot escape, the pressure pushes the axle rearward, into the rear pivot pin, causing the axle to be stiff. Eventually that lip seal will wear enough to allow grease to push out more easily.

When you grease the front pivot, the grease fills up the small space between the axle pivot pin and the housing in which the pin pivots inside of. There is also a lip and dust seal that keeps the grease in and dust out of the pivot. That lip seal is preventing the grease from coming out, as it should. So when you pressure up that zerk, and the void is full of grease already, and the grease cannot escape, the pressure pushes the axle rearward, into the rear pivot pin, causing the axle to be stiff. Eventually that lip seal will wear enough to allow grease to push out more easily.

That's a good explanation. I figure maybe 5000 psi can't overwhelm the tractor weight and the new seal, but maybe with the wheels off the ground I will have a better chance. I would feel better if I saw even a little grease ooze out of there.

/ CK2610H : front axle pivot won't take grease #8  
I had a lot of trouble with that zerk soon after I purchased my 2 year old Kioti. I figured it had never been greased and was hard with old grease. I kept up the pressure and managed to get two pumps in. Next time three and then it loosened up and takes grease easily. Yours is new. Keep trying.

I had a lot of trouble with that zerk soon after I purchased my 2 year old Kioti. I figured it had never been greased and was hard with old grease. I kept up the pressure and managed to get two pumps in. Next time three and then it loosened up and takes grease easily. Yours is new. Keep trying.

Well raised the front end with the loader, moved the axle down by pushing on the tire, still no grease action on that zerk. I'll revisit it in 15 hours, and if it still does not take grease it is getting cleaned/replaced.

Well I finally unscrewed the offending front zerk, expecting it to be plugged. It proceeded to spew a stream of GC amsoil grease at me, obviously under pressure in there. Since this is red grease, and OE grease was green or brown, I know it has been taking grease all along. Somehow it does not vent any though, unlike the rear pivot. Still, should be plenty of grease in there until the next "official" greasing.