Cleaning Fuel Filters

/ Cleaning Fuel Filters #1  

TripleR

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford
My Operators Manual say to use kerosene to clean the fuel filter on my Grand L. Anyone use anything else and if so what. Thanks

/ Cleaning Fuel Filters #2  
I use WD40 for almost all cleaning jobs.

/ Cleaning Fuel Filters #3  
My L2800 manual says the same,but rather purchase new filter for peace of mine.

/ Cleaning Fuel Filters #4  
My Operators Manual say to use kerosene to clean the fuel filter on my Grand L. Anyone use anything else and if so what. Thanks

Any L-series Kubota that I have seen uses an inexpensive paper cartridge for the fuel filter. Probably still under $10 and should really be tossed rather than cleaned. In an emergency, wash it out with kero, WD-40, or even diesel fuel.

/ Cleaning Fuel Filters #5  

For the cost of a new filter it is just insane to try and clean a fuel filter. It is impossible to not contaminate the whole filter. Nothing more expensive than a fuel system to repair.

/ Cleaning Fuel Filters #6  
I agree here...

I bought a new filter.. and I have a spare one for emergencies...

If it takes me 10 min to clean it and 10 min to clean myself up..
and a few more to clean up the area where I was making my mess... and then the time to get rid of the Kro or whatever I used to clean it...

Well $10 is cheaper..
3 min to replace it..
of course it is $10 PLUS the O rings that you should replace almost everytime it comes off..

J

/ Cleaning Fuel Filters #7  
I remember these discussions from a few years back, and IIRC most TBN'ers chose to replace (myself included).

It's actually kind of surprising that Kubota still promotes the idea of cleaning vs. replacement, seems like kind of a liability. The other concern with cleaning is inadvertantly contaminating the inside of the filter in the process.

/ Cleaning Fuel Filters
Thanks for all of the replies, I was curious why Kubota recommended cleaning the fuel filter, but shouldn't be since they also state to wash the air filter which I refuse to do. I will be replacing it.

/ Cleaning Fuel Filters #9  
I remember these discussions from a few years back, and IIRC most TBN'ers chose to replace (myself included).

It's actually kind of surprising that Kubota still promotes the idea of cleaning vs. replacement, seems like kind of a liability. The other concern with cleaning is inadvertantly contaminating the inside of the filter in the process.

Just guessing here, but these same Kubota engines go into equipment used all around the world, including some places where parts replacement may not be quite as convenient as it is here in the USA, and equipment may not get pampered quite as much either.

/ Cleaning Fuel Filters #10  
Seems to me that cleaning them would open larger pores in the filter...allowing larger size contaminates to get through the filter.

Same holds true for blowing out your air filters with the air compressor. I still use the compressor to clean my air filters, anyways though....