Cleaning Up Substantial Yard Debris

/ Cleaning Up Substantial Yard Debris #11  
One of the reasons I was able to get such a good price for my land was that it had become the local junk yard. Piles of stuff all over the place. Most of it I could scoop up with my loader bucket and burn in my burn pole. But stuff like broken glass was always left behind. After getting everything that I could with my bucket, I dug a huge hole next to the area of "stuff" and then scraped off the top several inches of soil and put it in the hole, 8 feet down. Then I filled up the hole, compacted it, disked the soil and planted Bermuda seed. Those areas became my best areas of grass!!!

/ Cleaning Up Substantial Yard Debris #12  
A tracked skid steer and grapple or mini x with thumb would be your best bet for loading that.

/ Cleaning Up Substantial Yard Debris #13  
Uggggg that's a lot of work. I would suggest a MiniX with a thumb and a tractor with a grapple bucket. Separate the metal into one pile to sell or give away for scrap, another pile for trash and another pile for things that can be burned. Maybe try to do a little bit at a time when time is available. ..Hopefully the entire property wasn't used as a dump.

/ Cleaning Up Substantial Yard Debris #14  
I'm with Eddie, recycle or scrape what you can, dig a hole to burn and bury what you can not.

I looked at a nice piece of property on a river, nice access to the river. Only problem, was 10,000 tires lining the hill side. I really did think hard about that property. I should have counter offered, I'll buy the place -$2 per tire.... I think I could have made money!!!! :ROFLMAO:

/ Cleaning Up Substantial Yard Debris #15  
Get the big stuff out. When the weather is right, burn the pasture. This will remove the small combustible stuff, by fire, and will expose all the other crap. Then, choose the best tool, for what you see.

Good on you, for cleaning it up.

/ Cleaning Up Substantial Yard Debris #17  
Start the video at 9 min:

/ Cleaning Up Substantial Yard Debris #18  
I had the same challenge. 100 years of the same family with trash heaps hither, thither, and yon. Masonry products went to the pit silo. Wood products went to the burn pile. 243 tires to the county dump. Everything else went into trash bags, 5 gallon buckets, etc., and got hauled to a free for use, dumpster. I found no way other than loading by hand. Fill the front end loader or throw it into the pickup bed. I tried to man handle junk only one time on the farm. Of course, if it went to the dumpster, I hand to hand unload it. I also used a dump trailer when I had a big mess I was attacking - like the roof to the milk processing building (rotten wood and shingles).
I did get one of those walk behind magnets that roofers use to get nails out of the lawn when they have ripped off an old roof.

/ Cleaning Up Substantial Yard Debris
Get the big stuff out. When the weather is right, burn the pasture. This will remove the small combustible stuff, by fire, and will expose all the other crap. Then, choose the best tool, for what you see.

Good on you, for cleaning it up.
The issue is that everybody threw the stuff into the woods and bushes so I have to take a chainsaw and a hedge trimmer to even find the stuff, to hand load it, to brush hog it. The pastures are pretty clear. Nobody bothered to use the massive fields to throw stuff away so it's all in bramble and tall grass in the front five near the house.

/ Cleaning Up Substantial Yard Debris #20  
Plaster - I forgot about this tool. I used this just this last week to burn the underbrush along the fence line along one of the public roads making up our farm boundary. It did not burn the brush. Once burned, I could see the bottles, shoes, etc. that had been thrown there over the years. I think the brush might have burned if I held the flame to it long enough. I also think if you used a weed trimmer (remove the string and put on the circular saw), if you cut the brush just above the debris, and let it lay for 6 months, it then would burn handily. As it was, the branches were too far away from each other to get a good burn going. I used about a gallon of propane an hour, working the way I described. The mfg. says with my unit (a six footer), to get a 100 lb. propane tank. I used 40 lbs, and it will work fine for my purposes which are primarily maintenance of the fence, not cleaning up the fence line.