Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #1  

TimP

Platinum Member
Tractor
B3000HSDCC
Hi All.

I bought a tractor with a front mounted snow blower and I noticed that the connectors did not have their little rubber safety plugs/protectors in the ends of the hydraulic connectors.

I am more concerned about the female connectors, but both the male and female connectors have dirt/dust and even a little caked mud inside of them.

What is the best method to clean these connectors out?

I thought I'd start with some compressed air and maybe a wet paper towel or even cotton swabs, then finish with a spray of WD40 inside of them?

Thoughts/Suggestions?

THANKS !

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #2  
I've heard (here on TBN) a jar of hydraulic fluid. Stick connector in and swirl around. Haven't tried myself yet, but sounds reasonable.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors
I've heard (here on TBN) a jar of hydraulic fluid. Stick connector in and swirl around. Haven't tried myself yet, but sounds reasonable.

Yes, it makes sense to use the same sort of fluid.... no chance of any sort of cross contamination.

Thanks !

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #4  
I usually use starting fluid to clean them out.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #6  
Brake clean and compressed air. While you havr them clean take a look at the seals inside the female part. Anydammage and they should be replaced.

Brake clean and compressed air. While you havr them clean take a look at the seals inside the female part. Anydammage and they should be replaced.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll inspect the seals closely.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #8  
I like WD40, its a great cleaner. I'm always concerned that Brake Clean or other harsh cleaners/solvents will damage the o-rings-probably unfounded though.

I like WD40, its a great cleaner. I'm always concerned that Brake Clean or other harsh cleaners/solvents will damage the o-rings-probably unfounded though.

Good Point Ken.

Maybe best to use either WD40 or the same Hydraulic Fluid already is the system.

Thanks !

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #10  
We have used starting fluid for 40 years on all or tractors combines etc, Have never noticed a issue, very seldom have we had to chance a o ring. Not sure how you would use hydraulic fluid to clean the females but sounds like a mess, I’d look into the wd40 or similar if you want a oil base product.