Clearing Brush and Mesquite Around Large Live Oaks

/ Clearing Brush and Mesquite Around Large Live Oaks #1  

Atascosa Ranchito

Tractor
Mahindra 5555 4X4
I have many Large Live Oak trees on my place with Prickly Pear, Brush and Mesquite all around them.

I'd like to have much of the pear, brush and mesquite removed.

I have been told to be very careful with chemical such as Sendero as I could easily kill the oaks.

I have been told that the Oaks could have roots that are 4 to 7 times the canopy and are as shallow as 18" or so therefore, Root Plowing could harm the Oaks.

My understanding is that having the brush, mesquite and brush Mulched would only be a temporary solution.

Can anyone with Long Term Experience with this give me some guidance?

Thanks!

/ Clearing Brush and Mesquite Around Large Live Oaks #2  
Call your local USDA FSA/extension service for advice on chemicals. I would use a mini track hoe with a thumb to full the trees up by the roots, this would be the least amount of soil movement. Plus you don't want to deal with the thorns afterwards. Pile away from LO trees and burn the pear with any other undesirables.
I don't have much experience with live Oaks other than they are very desirable for property values.

The red oaks here in MS don't tolerate very much soil movement under them at all,

/ Clearing Brush and Mesquite Around Large Live Oaks #3  
I've used my tree puller for such work. I have 40 acres of large Oak timber that I've cleared a lot of underbrush from. Pull everything down to the small stuff. Then slow burn what's left. Best time to burn is late Winter/early Spring before things start to green up. The fallen leaves make great fire fuel. I prefer no wind and slightly dry so the fuel will burn, but burn slow. That will kill the small brush. I burn my timber every 3-4 years.

/ Clearing Brush and Mesquite Around Large Live Oaks #4  
Check out Monster Skid steer attachments.
They have equipment for just this purpose.

/ Clearing Brush and Mesquite Around Large Live Oaks #5  
I wonder if you could cut then treat the stumps. It takes very little chemical which, when I do it, I brush on with a paint brush. I have been pretty close to 100% effective by doing it that way. It is a lot of work and somewhat time consuming but they have not came back. You have to treat them right after cutting. I usually cut 5 or 6 then stop and treat the stumps. After looking at the price of chemicals I wanted the most cost effective method I could find. I do not know if the small amount of chemical would leach causing issue with the oaks or not. Sure do not want to kill them.

/ Clearing Brush and Mesquite Around Large Live Oaks #6  
"painting" the cut stump of mesquite is effective using Remedy and diesel.

I read an article from Texas A&M University that said "leaching" was not a problem if it is used in small amounts applied directly to the stump.
They must be right.... I've never had a problem with harming my oaks.

/ Clearing Brush and Mesquite Around Large Live Oaks #7  
I should have posted that Remedy and diesel is what I use. It has worked well on the huisache and mesquite.