Close to a deal.

/ Close to a deal. #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
After much self debate, soul searching and number crunching, I'm close to trading in the esteemed 15 year old TC26DA on a new Workmaster 40. It came down to the Workmaster 40 and the Kubota L3901, and the deciding factor was the stronger loader. Two questions left: which dealer, and getting a hard number on the Boomer 40 to be sure I don't want to spend the extra bucks for it. The primary advantages that I see in the Boomer are a stronger loader still, ease of fueling on my 70 year old body, more comfortable seat, and the telescoping links. I doubt I can be convinced that they warrant the additional cost, but I want to see the numbers. I would consider an LS machine, but I don't want to deal with dealers as far away as they are here in NY state. As it is, I'm looking at 25-50 miles distance to dealers, and that in a town that used to have a local John Deere Dealer, and a local dealer that sold, would you believe, New Holland, Kubota, White, WheelHorse and a few others..

/ Close to a deal. #2  
After much self debate, soul searching and number crunching, I'm close to trading in the esteemed 15 year old TC26DA on a new Workmaster 40. It came down to the Workmaster 40 and the Kubota L3901, and the deciding factor was the stronger loader. Two questions left: which dealer, and getting a hard number on the Boomer 40 to be sure I don't want to spend the extra bucks for it. The primary advantages that I see in the Boomer are a stronger loader still, ease of fueling on my 70 year old body, more comfortable seat, and the telescoping links. I doubt I can be convinced that they warrant the additional cost, but I want to see the numbers. I would consider an LS machine, but I don't want to deal with dealers as far away as they are here in NY state. As it is, I'm looking at 25-50 miles distance to dealers, and that in a town that used to have a local John Deere Dealer, and a local dealer that sold, would you believe, New Holland, Kubota, White, WheelHorse and a few others..
Do you REALLY feel the need for a close by dealer?
How many dealer trips did you make over the 15 years with your current tractor?
You can buy all the parts or pieces you might need online, and the nice man in the big brown truck will bring them right to your door.
I live 80 miles from the nearest dealer, and have never had a need for him.

/ Close to a deal. #3  
By the sounds done most of your home work,just gotta go with your gut feelings.

/ Close to a deal. #4  
Maybe Fried can’t understand why you prefer to buy from a nearby dealer but I sure can.
When I was shopping for a new tractor I traveled over 100 miles one way, some dealers seemed way better than others, there are 2 LS dealers in opposite directions about 40 miles from my home, they both seemed like good dealers but the one I choose to buy from seemed more interested in meeting my wants-needs as best he could, so far I’ve been very happy with my choices and if I ever do need service I’m confident he will be able to handle it.

/ Close to a deal. #5  
Maybe Fried can’t understand why you prefer to buy from a nearby dealer but I sure can.
When I was shopping for a new tractor I traveled over 100 miles one way, some dealers seemed way better than others, there are 2 LS dealers in opposite directions about 40 miles from my home, they both seemed like good dealers but the one I choose to buy from seemed more interested in meeting my wants-needs as best he could, so far I’ve been very happy with my choices and if I ever do need service I’m confident he will be able to handle it.
It is really easy for me to explain why not to buy from a tractor dealer.
I have never bought a new tractor, and I can do most repairs myself.
Why would I pay thousands in dealer profit, for zero benefit to me?

/ Close to a deal. #6  

I ended up buying the last 3 machines I’ve had from the local dealer. But I felt they were pretty fair and if I had found something thousands cheaper I’d have bought it instead. I couldn’t care less about service. I’ve never had a dealer work on my stuff and I don’t plan on starting now. Any dealer will sell parts and in the days of online ordering that’s not a big concern anyway.

/ Close to a deal. #7  
What is the advantage to having a dealership nearby? How often did the TC26DA need to go to the dealership for anything? Just how much repair did it need? I'm guessing quite a bit if having a nearby dealer is important. Can't blame you for that, although in that case why buy the same brand?

For that matter, is it a having a dealer nearby that is attractive....or having a capable repair shop? Those might not be the same thing.

Now if you are curious and just wanting to try a new different type of tractor then I can certainly understand that. I'm older than you, but I'm still curious about the new ones and so was my dad.... so if that's your itch, it will probably take a new tractor to make it go away.
rScotty

/ Close to a deal. #8  
What is the advantage to having a dealership nearby? How often did the TC26DA need to go to the dealership for anything? Just how much repair did it need? I'm guessing quite a bit if having a nearby dealer is important. Can't blame you for that, although in that case why buy the same brand?

For that matter, is it a having a dealer nearby that is attractive....or having a capable repair shop? Those might not be the same thing.

Now if you are curious and just wanting to try a new different type of tractor then I can certainly understand that. I'm older than you, but I'm still curious about the new ones and so was my dad.... so if that's your itch, it will probably take a new tractor to make it go away.
rScotty
The treatment for new tractor "itch" is very expensive, and not covered by my policy!

/ Close to a deal. #9  
I found that a new tractor wasn't far off in price than a low hour used tractor

/ Close to a deal. #10  
I found that a new tractor wasn't far off in price than a low hour used tractor

That's a good point. The prices aren't that much different and probably should be. After all, with the low hour used tractor you know where it stands and have some confidence that it will continue. It's now a proven machine, and getting it to that condition took someone some time, money, and attention to details.

With a brand new tractor, the first owner gets to do all those things himself, and in the process discover all the things that the need to be fixed and deal with them.

Tractors are built a little differently from most consumer goods, so the familiar rules that work for evaluating used cars, trucks, appliances, and power tools don't apply so well. Good tractors are still built to last a lifetime.
rScotty