Clutch parts???

/ Clutch parts??? #1  

tpoirier

Tractor
None, yet
I have a late 70's JD 950 with a single clutch. The clutch needs replacement and as I'm looking at options for ordering parts online I can find the clutch parts for a little over $500 here: John Deere 950 Parts - Clutch Parts

or a clutch kit through Southern Farm Equipment for $275 here: https://www.southernfarmequipmentimports.com/products/sfck-jd950-clutch-kit-john-deere-950

And Jensales has the kit for almost $900.

Obviously I'd rather spend less money, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Southern Farm Equipment and can tell me if the quality is good for the cheaper kit?

Thanks!

/ Clutch parts??? #2  
Take it apart first. I did one for a neighbor a while back, they bought every part ahead which caused one to use the crap reman pressure plate they got from a dealer kit. If its nice simply slip a new disk in it.

/ Clutch parts??? #3  
I been at this a while and taking apart before buying is so much easier and cheaper when you find the rest id fine and you need new piece.

/ Clutch parts???
thanks for that advice. Not sure I have the time to do it that way, a neighbor is a retired mechanic and is doing the work for me for next to nothing but I'm not sure he'd want the tractor sitting in his garage waiting for parts to come in.

/ Clutch parts??? #5  
take it apart and find out whats wrong. call around for parts and have them shipped. most ship in 3 days for a reasonable price.