Coca-cola collectors. What would you do with this?

/ Coca-cola collectors. What would you do with this? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
We have a small auction company and someone dropped of a nearly pristine condition all original Coca Cola cooler. It’s hard to predict value of something like this but without the holes drilled in the top I was hoping for at least 5k. The catch is someone decided to make it into a bar and add a top and drill 8 holes in the top. If you were in my shoes would you buy this and have it professionally repaired which means the top has been painted or do nothing. That’s of course assuming nobody else buys it. IMG_1350.JPGIMG_1349.JPGIMG_1334.JPG

Last edited:
   / Coca-cola collectors. What would you do with this? #2  
The holes are an easy fix for an auto body shop. I'd be surprised if they wanted more then a couple hundred bucks to do this. If I was trying to sell it, I would fix the holes first.

/ Coca-cola collectors. What would you do with this? #3  
We have a small auction company and someone dropped of a nearly pristine condition all original Coca Cola cooler. It’s hard to predict value of something like this but without the holes drilled in the top I was hoping for at least 5k. The catch is someone decided to make it into a bar and add a top and drill 8 holes in the top. If you were in my shoes would you buy this at the sellers reserve of $2500 and have it professionally repaired which means the top has been painted or do nothing. That’s of course assuming nobody else buys it. View attachment 589773View attachment 589774View attachment 589775

I would NOT touch it.
Let a buyer decide if they want it "fixed" or not.

/ Coca-cola collectors. What would you do with this?
It’s not currently mine. The options are to attempt to buy it and then fix it or do nothing.

/ Coca-cola collectors. What would you do with this? #5  
If you have a small auction company why can't you try and sell it for the owner on commission with a reserve price. It looks nice and I'd guess it works but not something I'd be looking to buy. There are thousands of collectors who may be interested. Maybe American Pickers would buy it and put it in their store. It might sell for more with some background on it such as year built. If not, have the owner put it on Fleabay with a good description.

That’s the plan. But my money is as green as anyone else’s. The point of this thread was would fixing the holes increase the valve by a notable amount. If someone else bids to above what I would pay then it’s theirs.

/ Coca-cola collectors. What would you do with this? #7  
It's like so many things. It's interesting and unique for sure. It's also extra clutter in your life. BIG, heavy cumbersome clutter at that.

I have no use for such a thing. I wouldn’t keep it if I bought it. Reselling it would be the point. If it had some wear to it I’d agree not fixing it it the obvious best idea but I think drilled holes are in a different category. And a good body man should be able to match the paint so I’d only have to paint the top.

/ Coca-cola collectors. What would you do with this? #9  
Being you own an auction company, you must have a better idea of prices and what things are worth.

Locally around here and lately in the national news, antiques are not bringing the prices they used to. Mainly do to older folks passing away and millennials have no interest in past history and antiques. Everything electronics is the rage these days. :confused3:

Personally, I wouldn't put anymore money into it trying to restore it to it's original condition. Of course, the bids when it originally goes up for auction should give you some indication of what to do.

/ Coca-cola collectors. What would you do with this? #10  
There must be places that source stuff for theme restaurants. Like, for Retro Diners and Road houses.